Mother Dismayed When 4-Year-Old Goes to Dentist for Routine Procedure and Comes Out Looking Like This
Savannah White is only 4-years-old, a little young to be given the designation “metal mouth” since braces are still several years in her future and all her adult teeth have yet to come in. But after a trip to the dentist office to fill what mom though was a few cavities, a full set of silver capped teeth is what she was left with.
“I didn’t expect for her entire mouth to be covered in silver,” Savannah’s mom Alecia White said, according to AZ Family. “We went in to have a couple of cavities done and she came out with a mouth full of silver.”
White said the 4-year-old was self-conscious of her appearance afterward.
“On a daily basis she says, ‘Mommy, I don’t like my teeth. I don’t like my teeth,’” White said. “And it’s really kind of hard to hear every single day.”
Watch this report regarding the incident:
AZ Family asked a separate pediatric dentist to review Savannah’s case. Dr. Richard Chaet said putting crowns on all her teeth appears to have been merited given the level of deterioration and potential for further problems.
One commenter on this story explained that Savannah likely had a pulpotomy, which is when infected dental nerve tissue is removed and replaced with dental cement and capped with a stainless steel crown to ultimately save the tooth. The commenter bringing up pulpotomy as the medical procedure the child probably had called it the “child-sized version of a root canal.”
Chaet noted the communication between the mother and the dentist should have been better to prevent the shock afterward.
Watch AZ Family’s report:
Chaet also noted that given the number of crowns that were needed, most dentists would have used white veneers instead of stainless steel.
After a local dentist heard of Savannah’s story, he volunteered to put new caps on the child free of charge.
Some commenters on the story though have pointed out the issue of the girl’s teeth becoming so deteriorated that such measures were necessary in the first place.
One commenter on Medical Daily wrote, “It’s obvious this child teeth are terribly neglected and several either rotted out or were pulled out? Then [you] gripe because they cap the rest?”
Others on AZ Family’s main story wrote things like:
- Maybe the mom should brush her kids teeth…. – David Vanicelli
- Sounds to me like the parents were letting the child eat the wrong foods and were not cleaning her teeth. – Paula Griffiths
- [A] child that young shouldn’t have teeth that bad without a serious level of neglect. – Bhig Bhad Wolf
Let us know what you think about the situation in our comments section below.
(H/T: Yahoo! News)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 497 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 383 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 320 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 185 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 318 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 126 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senator: Assaults let military culture continue
- WHO: Scientific red tape mars efforts vs. virus
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Wyden: FracFocus a 'constructive' tool on drilling
- Heat, Pacers say Game 2 should be even better
- Tea party storm largely inside IRS _ so far
- Kids, teachers from devastated school reunite
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener