NRA President: Obama Violating His Oath as President & Trying to Build an ‘Imperial Presidency’
NRA President David Keene appeared on the Jay Severin Show today on TheBlaze radio network to discuss the president’s push for gun control, and immediately went for the jugular in describing President Obama’s agenda.
“This really is, in terms of the Second Amendment, this is it. This is the battle that we’ve been concerned about. It’s the war that we knew was coming, and it’s the war we warned people about as we approached this last fall’s election,” Keene told Severin. “[Obama's] been an anti-Second Amendment activist as a private citizen, as a state legislator, as a United States Senator, and then tried to cloak it all during his campaigns because he was afraid of the backlash from those who are strong second amendment supporters. Now that he’s elected – reelected – and he doesn’t have to face the voters again, he’s indicated a willingness to do what he’s always wanted to do, which is to gut the Second Amendment.”
“Do you have any doubt that President Obama’s and his political base’s goal is to at least severely diminish and, more likely, effectively abolish Second Amendment rights?” Severin asked.
“I don’t think there’s any question about that. You know, in the past, he has said, both publicly and privately, that he doesn’t believe any American has a right as a private citizen to own any kind of a firearm,” Keene replied. “He’s voted for, at lower levels, legislation that would’ve abolished anything except a single-fire shotgun rifle. He’s said that handguns should not be manufactured, sold, traded or owned or possessed in the United States. This is not a fellow who’s interested in nipping at the fringes of the Second Amendment. This is a fellow who, if he has his druthers, would drive a stake right into the heart of the right to private ownership of firearms in this country, and of the second amendment to our Constitution.”
Severin followed up, “As President of the NRA, in your opinion, is this President honoring his oath to protect, preserve and defend the Constitution?”
Keene didn’t even miss a beat. “No, he’s not, because he claims, as you saw yesterday, that he believes in the second amendment. He said that during the campaign. That’s bunkum. The fact of the matter is he’s never believed in the second amendment as it’s been interpreted, or as it was written, and if his oath requires him to defend the Constitution as it exists, rather than as he might wish it had been written, then he’s violating it.”
Severin followed up on this forceful attack by Keene by asking if articles of impeachment should be brought against Obama for his issuance of Executive Orders regarding guns. Keene demurred, saying he wasn’t sure Congress would have to go that far, but did lambaste Obama for constantly trying to circumvent Congress, and for wanting to rule the United States as though it were China.
“This is a President who is trying to build the Imperial presidency that liberals have always claimed Republicans and conservatives would like to build. He’s doing it. He’s going around the Congress,” Keene said.
You can listen to the most relevant chunk of Keene’s interview with Severin below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 966 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 417 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 370 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 279 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 255 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 112 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 167 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- At last: 'Arrested' is reborn Sunday on Netflix
- Arias speaks on own behalf as jury considers death
- Jodi Arias addresses jury in penalty phase of trial as panel considers life or death sentence
- 2 Moroccans tried for homosexuality get 4 months
- Warsaw ghetto insurgent Boruch Spiegel dies at 93
- Court strikes down Arizona 20-week abortion ban
- Senate debating federal dollars for crop insurance
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival