Shocker: The Obama Jobs Council Hasn’t Met in a Year
Remember during the 2012 presidential election when a few of us noted with concern the fact that President Barack Obama’s so-called jobs council (aka the “President’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness”) wasn’t, well, doing anything?
Well, the election has come and gone and the jobs council still isn’t doing anything. In fact, as of yesterday, it has been an entire year since it has met to discuss long-term unemployment. Yes, an entire year.
“President Barack Obama’s Jobs Council hit a notable milestone on Thursday: one year without an official meeting. The 26-member panel is also set to expire at the end of the month, unless Obama extends its tenure,” POLITICO reports.
The group last met to discuss U.S. unemployment on Jan. 17, 2012.
“A spokesman for Jobs Council chairman Jeffrey Immelt, who’s the CEO of General Electric, referred questions about the panel’s future to the White House,” POLITICO notes.
“A White House spokeswoman had no comment Thursday,” the report adds.
A White House spokesperson did not immediately respond Friday to a Blaze request for comment.
Final Thought: Perhaps news of the council’s inactivity shouldn’t come as that big of a surprise. Indeed, as noted elsewhere on TheBlaze, the council and the people who run it are not exactly, ahem, orthodox.
Remember when Obama’s jobs council head and the CEO of GE Jeffrey Immelt said that one thing that “actually works” is “state-run Communism” in China?
“Look, I think it’s good for China,” he said, referring to China’s growth rate falling from double digits to about eight percent.
“To a certain extent, Charlie, 11 to 12 percent is unsustainable. You end up getting too much stimulus or a misallocation of resources. They are much better off working on a more consumer-based economy, less dependent on exports, driving technology and innovation harder,” he added. “Really, the one thing that actually works, state run communism may not be your cup of tea, but their government works.”
“They get things done,” CBC News’ Charlie Rose responded.
They get things done — what’s that like?
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy AP.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 466 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 447 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 415 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 331 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute