Obama Inauguration Trivia: Do You Know Which President Gave the Shortest Speech? The Longest?
President Barack Obama’s plans for his second swearing-in will break a few traditions, but so far there’s no word on whether he’ll set any new records for an inaugural address.
Presidents have always used the occasion “to articulate their hopes and dreams for a nation,” according to Congressional records. Some have been mercifully succinct — in fact, one delivered only 135 words.
On the other extreme, one president literally talked himself to death.
That was William Henry Harrison, who stood outside in a snowstorm without a hat or coat for one hour and 45 minutes to deliver his inaugural address on March 4, 1841, according to Encyclopædia Britannica. He contracted pneumonia and died a month later, making his term in office the shortest in American history.
Harrison’s speech set the record for length of 8,495 words. By comparison, Obama’s first inaugural speech was 2,420 words.
So who gave that super short speech of only 135 words (which remains the record for brevity)? And what did he say?
It was none other than George Washington, speaking ahead of his second swearing in ceremony in Philadelphia on March 4, 1793, according to Senate records.
Here’s the transcript:
I am again called upon by the voice of my country to execute the functions of its Chief Magistrate. When the occasion proper for it shall arrive, I shall endeavor to express the high sense I entertain of this distinguished honor, and of the confidence which has been reposed in me by the people of united America. Previous to the execution of any official act of the President the Constitution requires an oath of office. This oath I am now about to take, and in your presence: That if it shall be found during my administration of the Government I have in any instance violated willingly or knowingly the injunctions thereof, I may (besides incurring constitutional punishment) be subject to the upbraidings of all who are now witnesses of the present solemn ceremony.
Washington also added the words “so help me God” to the oath of office after repeating the Constitution’s prescribed oath at his first inauguration and, in what Brittanica calls the “most meaningful” gesture in U.S. presidential inauguration history, Washington then bent down to kiss the Bible.
(H/T: Eserver; Front page photo credit: AP)
More Inauguration News:
- Obama Puts Another Twist on His Upcoming Presidential Oath (This One Involves the Bible)
- Obama’s Inaugural Invocation Pick Breaks With 200+ Years of American Tradition
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 578 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 514 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 492 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 308 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 264 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 148 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom