There’s a Slight Problem With NY’s Hastily-Made New Gun Laws: They Forgot to Exempt Cops!
In their rush to push through tough new gun control laws, the New York State Legislature made a huge mistake: They failed to exempt police officers from the regulations regarding “high-capacity magazines.”
This means that when the new laws take effect in March, it will be illegal for any law enforcement official to carry a magazine that holds more than seven rounds. For point of reference, almost every law enforcement agency in the state uses handguns that carry 15 rounds.
“We are still working out some details of the law and the exemption will be included, currently no police officer is in violation,” a spokesman for New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office told ABC 7 Eyewitness News:
“The PBA [Patrolman's Benevolent Association] is actively working to enact changes to this law that will provide the appropriate exemptions from the law for active and retired law enforcement officers,” the group’s president said in a statement.
Sen. Eric Adams told ABC 7 Eyewitness News he’s going to introduce an amendment to exempt law enforcement from the new regulations.
“You can’t give more ammo to the criminals,” he said.
Final Thought: So basically New York lawmakers are telling us they had to pass it to see what was in it?
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy Getty Images.
(H/T: Hot Air)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 490 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 455 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 440 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 334 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 321 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 158 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- Kenya's mental hospital drugs, confines patients
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Madrid's Catholic Church says it needs exorcists
- Fire official: 18 injured in crash between shuttle bus, tractor-trailer near Atlanta airport
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load