Wait, Did Lance Armstrong Lie to Oprah During His Apology?
Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong sat down with Oprah Winfrey earlier this week to publicly apologize for lying to his fans and the American public about his “doping” habits.
However, according to ABC News, while supposedly “coming clean” about “juicing,” Armstrong may have lied to his Oprah.
ABC News explains:
Armstrong, 41, admitted for the first time that his decade-long dominance of cycling and seven wins in the Tour de France were owed, in part, to performance-enhancing drugs and oxygen-boosting blood transfusions. He told Winfrey that he was taking the opportunity to confess to everything he had done wrong, including angrily denying reports for years claiming that he had doped.
Investigators familiar with Armstrong’s case, however, said today that Armstrong didn’t completely come clean. They say he blatantly lied about when he stopped doping, saying the last time he used the drugs and transfusions was the 2005 race.
“That’s the only thing in this whole report that upset me,” Armstrong said during the interview. “The accusation and alleged proof that they said I doped [in 2009] is not true. The last time I crossed the line, that line was 2005.”
“You did not do a blood transfusion in 2009?” Winfrey asked.
“No, 2009 and 2010 absolutely not,” Armstrong said.
However, contrary to what Armstrong says, investigators familiar with his “juicing” disagree with his version of events.
“They said today that Armstrong’s blood values at the 2009 race showed clear blood manipulation consistent with two transfusions,” ABC News reports. “Armstrong’s red blood cell count suddenly went up at these points, even though the number of baby red blood cells did not.”
Bottom line: Armstrong received a transfusion of mature red blood cells, according to investigators.
“If Armstrong lied about the 2009 race, it could be to protect himself criminally,” investigators said.
Wow. If the investigators are right, and Armstrong did indeed lie during his interview with Oprah, what’s the penalty for lying to your confessor?
Exit Question: Why is he confessing to Oprah anyway? Did we miss something?
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy Getty Images.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 975 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 424 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 372 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 287 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 131 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 171 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- The 50th Super Bowl goes to San Francisco Bay Area
- Muppets creator's items head to NYC museum
- US lawmakers seek limits on Russia cooperation
- San Francisco Bay Area picked to host 50th Super Bowl in 2016
- Lawyer: Feds investigate Susan Powell case
- Library honors Carole King with US pop music prize
- Photos of Tucson shooting scene show gun, knife
- In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids