Sen. Chuck Schumer Says the NRA Is an Extreme ‘Fringe Group’
Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) sat down with HuffPost Live Friday, where he made a noteworthy statement about the rapidly-growing National Rifle Association.
Responding to interviewer Alicia Menendez’s question about whether Schumer’s colleagues are “willing to admit” that the NRA is a “fringe group,” the senator responded: “Well they sure are a fringe group, but whether enough of my colleagues are ready to admit that, I’m not sure.”
He continued: “They are a very extreme group. They don’t even represent average gun holders.”
The two proceeded to discuss certain gun control measures and Schumer’s intention to “push hard” to get them passed.
The Huffington Post summarizes:
The New York Democrat [said] that when he worked on the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, which went into effect in 1994, the NRA “had such power that they filled it up with loopholes.” The Brady Law required background checks for firearm purchasers.
“Now 40 percent of the guns that are sold in America have no check, even felons can get them,” Schumer said. “If we can plug that up, that would be great.”
Schumer told HuffPost Live he would like to see the number of bullets in a clip limited and assault weapons banned as well, but that he thinks universal background checks will probably be the easiest measure to pass through the House and the one that would have the most impact.
“We’re going to push hard to get that one done and even through the House,” he said.
Here is video of Schumer’s remarks, via HuffPost Live:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 499 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 460 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 452 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 181 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 117 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Canadian trucking company says it had permits
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Chile blocks world's highest mine project
- Actress Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss