This Awesome Science Vid Asks: Can Money Buy You Happiness?
Yeah, yeah, we know it’s an old question, but haven’t you ever wondered? Can money buy you happiness?
In achieving personal happiness, the folks at AsapSCIENCE say it’s not so much that amount of cash that matters — it’s how it’s spent.
“Humans are very sensitive to change: When we get a raise or commission, we really enjoy it — but we adapt at incredible speeds to our new wealth,” a new video from the group explains. “Some studies have shown that in North America additional income beyond $75,000 a year ceases to impact day-to-day happiness.”
What impacts day-to-day happiness? Experiencing new things (and sharing those experiences) and voluntarily giving to others (as opposed to being coerced into doing it [i.e. taxation]). Basically, exercising the virtue of charity.
If that’s true, and day-to-day happiness is impacted by being charitable, then we can say the following: Monetary wealth allows us to be (financially) generous, generosity allows us to exercise a form of charity, being charitable makes us happy, therefore money can buy happiness — “if spent the right way.”
“[I]f you think money and happiness are exclusive, you simply aren’t spending it right,” the AsapSCIENCE video claims:
Pretty cool, right? Let us know what you think in the comments section.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
(H/T: brainpickings.org). Featured images courtesy Getty Images.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 529 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 488 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 469 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 326 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 142 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 125 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Teixeira expects to play in minors Wednesday
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- Venezuela to create new workers militia
- Soldier's slaying prompts UK security review
- AP Source: Jets RB Goodson to practice Tuesday
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split