Listen to This Veteran’s Epic Defense of the Second Amendment at Chicago Anti-Gun Forum: ‘I Went to War for My Country’
A military veteran delivered a passionate defense of the Second Amendment at a Chicago-area anti-gun “forum” Sunday, saying he went to war to protect all Americans’ inalienable rights — including the right to bear arms. He also argued the threat of “tyranny” is still just as real as it was in the past.
The veteran, along with several other NRA supporters, were reportedly forced to listen to panelists bash the Second Amendment and question whether or not the right to bear arms is still relevant in today’s society.
“About two-thirds of the audience sported Illinois State Rifle Association or National Rifle Association hats or tee-shirts. Many held up “Don’t Infringe My Rights” signs. Many photographed the crowd and speakers with phones and cameras,” according to the Wilmette Sun Times.
One of the speakers at the event, identified as Bill Jenkins, even went as far as to place a photograph of Nazi paraphernalia on the screen with the caption, “this is what a gun show looks like,” followed by a picture of a Chihuahua with the caption “this is what I think the NRA really is.” Critics of the NRA have gotten into a habit of comparing the NRA to Nazis.
“Finally, when panelist Lee Goodman of the Stop Concealed Carry Coalition responded to a question about the original reasons for including the Second Amendment in the Bill of Rights by saying ‘it didn’t matter [what their intentions were],’ it was enough for the combat veteran to speak up,” Legal Insurrection notes.
Here’s a partial transcript the veteran’s scathing diatribe:
“Sir, sir. While you’re standing up. I’ve sat here [inaudible] and I’d like to agree with the professor. Everyone standing in this room right now, especially the veterans in the room right now, know, that we are all Americans. The problem with this country right now is, ‘it’s us and it’s f***ing them.’ We need to stop this crap.
Now, the thing I would like you to answer, sir. And I did go to war for this country. Whether it was for everyone in here’s ability to have oil and gas in their cars, or the banks, or whatever. I went to war for my country.
And I went to war for your ability to have the First Amendment, to say what you stood up there and said today, to write what you want to write in your newspaper, and have whatever opinion you want to have. You can practice whatever religious freedoms you want.
To read the full transcript, click here.
“When they consider any part of the Constitution, any law, they’re going to say, ‘what does it mean today?’” Goodman defended.
To that, the veteran shot back, “The threat of tyranny is no less than at the turn of the century in 1900, in 1800, or in 1700.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 422 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 368 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 110 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 207 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
- Asia stocks extend losses after big sell-off
- 5 climbers missing on world's 3rd highest mountain
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- Actress Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash