NRA Issues ‘Major Response’ to Obama’s Inaugural Address: No Gov’t Can Ever Take Away Our ‘God-Given Freedoms’
Executive Vice President of the National Rifle Association Wayne LaPierre issued a scathing review of President Barack Obama’s inaugural address, saying the president expects Americans to accept his flawed interpretation of the U.S. Constitution and the Second Amendment.
“He wants you, all of you, and Americans across this country to accept the idea of principles as he sees fit,” LaPierre said. “It’s a way of redefining words so that common sense is turned upside down, and nobody knows the difference.”
“We as gun owners face that same kind of false ultimatum,” he added. “We are told that to stop insane killers, we must accept less freedom.”
That is not the solution, LaPierre explained. Nonetheless, Obama believes the only “principled way to make children safe is to make lawful citizens less safe” through gun control.
“Criminals couldn’t care less about Obama’s so-called principles, that’s why they are criminals,” LaPierre said to applause. “You all know that.”
Obama wants you to believe that putting the federal government right in the middle of every firearms transaction, except those between criminals, will somehow make the country safer, the NRA executive vice president lamented.
“He wants to keep all those names in a massive federal registry. There are only two reasons for such a registry of gun owners, that is to tax them or take them,” he added.
Watch LaPierre’s entire speech below:
LaPierre went on: “Mr. President, just because you wish words meant something other than what they mean, you don’t have the right to define them anyway you want. Because when words can mean anything, they mean nothing.”
President Obama subtly addressed the nation’s gun lobby at the end of his inaugural speech, hinting that his administration will continue taking action on guns.
“Our journey is not complete until all our children, from the streets of Detroit to the hills of Appalachia to the quiet lanes of Newtown, know that they are cared for, and cherished, and always safe from harm,” Obama said on Monday. “Progress does not compel us to settle centuries-long debates about the role of government for all time — but it does require us to act in our time,”
LaPierre argues Obama is overstepping his authority by going after semi-automatic rifles. He said Americans’ inalienable rights, like the right to bear arms, are “God-given freedoms” that can not be infringed.
“They belong to us…no government gave them to us and no government can ever take them away,” he said.
“We’re not people to be trivialized, marginalized or demonized as unreasonable. We’re not children who need to be parented or misguided ‘bitter clingers,’” he concluded. “We believe in the right to defend ourselves…We believe in our country, we believe in our Bill of Rights and we believe in our Second Amendment.”
Featured image via AFP/Getty
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 400 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 349 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 288 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 203 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 100 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 109 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Man who kidnapped 2 Iowa girls had long record
- Arias jury deadlocked but must continue
- Kerry: US, allies, ready to step up aid rebels
- Fiat Industrial aims to shift tax home to Britain
- Jurors in Jodi Arias case say they're unable to reach decision; judge sends them back
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- Attorney: Donald Trump lied on stand
- Fed weighed slowing its pace of bond purchases