Read McDonald’s Response When We Asked Them About Their Sharia-Compliant Food Lawsuit
McDonald’s has agreed to pay $700,000 to the members of a Detroit-area Muslim community because one of its franchises advertised Sharia-compliant food but then allegedly sold food that wasn’t prepared in the manner dictated by Islamic dietary law, TheBlaze’s Billy Hallowell reported this morning.
“The lawsuit alleged that [Dearborn Heights resident Ahmed Ahmed] bought a chicken sandwich in September 2011 at a Dearborn McDonald’s but found it wasn’t halal — meaning it didn’t meet Islamic requirements for preparing food.
“Islam forbids consumption of pork, and God’s name must be invoked before an animal providing meat for consumption is slaughtered,” the report adds.
The McDonald’s was taken to task for this inconsistency.
“McDonald’s and Finley’s Management Co. [the group that owns and operates the Detroit-area franchise] agreed Friday to the tentative settlement, with that money to be shared by Dearborn Heights resident Ahmed Ahmed, a Detroit health clinic, the Arab American National Museum in Dearborn and lawyers,” reads Hallowell’s report.
TheBlaze reached out to McDonald’s for comment and this is what the company told us:
McDonald’s has always been committed to serve communities and remain relevant to our valued customers, and the restaurants in Dearborn, Michigan are no exception.
All parties involved concluded that the best resolution of this matter was to provide support to organizations that also serve and benefit the local community.
As part of the agreement, donations in the name of Mr. Finley’s organization will be donated to two worthy causes. The first is to contribute to the development of a medical and dental clinic that will offer additional health care options and increase the resources available at the Health Unit on Davison Avenue, Inc. (HUDA) Second, funds will be dedicated to expand educational programs at the Arab American National Museum. Both of these organizations were selected because of their service to the community.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy Getty Images. This post has been updated for clarity.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 501 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 468 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 385 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 369 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 326 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 196 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 134 Comments
- This Depressing Chart Shows How Many More Americans Are Now on Food Stamps Compared to 10 Years Ago Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 100 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 124 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Nixon library hosts reunion for Vietnam POWs
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
- Judge declares mistrial in penalty phase of Jodi Arias trial; retrial scheduled for July
- Jury deadlocks again on life term or death for Jodi Arias
- Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as coach
- Hobby Lobby tests birth-control coverage mandate
- Correction: Oklahoma Tornado story