Singer James Taylor on Gun Control: ‘We Need to Make Some Sacrifice[s] to Our Freedoms…to Safeguard Our Children’
Singer James Taylor showered accolades upon President Barack Obama on Monday, calling the president the ultimate public servant and proclaiming that Americans “are very fortunate to have Barack Obama as our leader.”
While these comments are expected from a celebrity who unabashedly supported the president throughout his first and second campaigns, Taylor’s proclamations about gun control may trouble some Second Amendment enthusiasts.
During an interview with The Daily Caller yesterday, the singer said that Americans may need to sacrifice some of their liberties in order to protect society from gun violence. When asked to comment about whether he agrees with Obama’s recent executive orders targeting firearms and aimed at stemming violent crime, Taylor made an intriguing proclamation about sacrificing freedom. Before sharing his views, though, he did note that he does not know, in great detail, the contents of the president’s most recent executive orders.
“I think the nation is very divided on gun control, but I think the majority of us feel strongly — even the majority of gun owners feel strongly — that we need to make some sacrifice[s] to our freedoms, if that’s the way to put it,” he said. “We need to make some sacrifices to what we might want to have, in order to safeguard our children.”
As for the Founding Fathers, Taylor believes that, while they wanted Americans to have the right to arm themselves, there are limits to the Second Amendment’s reach.
“I think there’s a limit to how much — I think the founding fathers wanted us to be able to arm ourselves, but I don’t think that they would have agreed that we should have the capacity to do the damage that we do have,” the singer continued. “And we just can’t afford it.”
Watch his comments, below:
Taylor performed at Obama’s inauguration on Monday.
(H/T: The Daily Caller)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 470 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 462 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ Read More
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- UN: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Togo police fire tear gas at protesters
- McQuaid: Panel to study UCI-Armstrong 'collusion'
- Jewelry stolen a 2nd time during Cannes festival
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- Jerry Lewis repeats his distaste for female comics