Facebook Apologizes for Threatening to Shut Down Conservative Fan Page Over Post Critical of Obama Admin.
Facebook on Wednesday apologized for threatening to shut down the “Chicks on the Right” Facebook page because of a post critical of the Obama administration, Fox News’ Todd Starnes reports. The site claims the users were “incorrectly warned” by the site’s User Operation’s Team.
Mockarena, one of the two women who runs “Chicks on the Right,” a conservative website with more than 100,000 fans on their official Facebook page, reportedly received a notice on Wednesday informing her that she would be locked out of not only her “Chicks on the Right” Facebook page, but her personal page as well. Facebook accused her of violating the company’s standards with one of her posts.
The post in question was directed at White House Press Secretary Jay Carney. The post referred users to a website posting titled, “You Know What? Liberal Hypocrisy is Starting to Cause Me Actual Physical Pain.”
“Jay Carney can kiss my assular area,” Mockarena wrote.
However, shortly after Fox News reported on the incident, Facebook issued an apologetic statement.
“We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience…Unfortunately, the users were incorrectly warned by our User Operation’s Team and we have already removed all associated blocks from the accounts,” Facebook spokesman Fred Wolens told Fox News.
From from Fox News:
Mockarena, who runs the website with Daisy, confirmed to Fox News that Facebook had lifted the blocks on both pages. Both ladies asked that their real names not be used for security concerns.
Wolens said their team reviews millions of pieces of content every day – and chalked up what happened to an innocent mistake.
“This team looks at hundreds of thousands of reports every week, and as you might expect, occasionally, we make a mistake and block a piece of content we shouldn’t have,” he said.
However, in the few hours since the original report was posted, Fox News has heard from a number of readers who said they’ve also been subjected to Facebook blocks over conservative content.
“I think people are starting to realize Facebook is not necessarily a safe place for conservatives,” Mockarena told Fox News. “They are targeting conservatives.”
She also said Internet trolls on the left are dedicated to “silencing conservatives” and spend their time racking up complaints on people’s pages so they are suspended.
“All those reports get funneled into Facebook and with enough complaints the pages are then shut down,” she added.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 527 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 466 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 453 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 337 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Terrorism, London Machete Attack: ‘A Hand-Maiden of Islamic Terrorism’ Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 272 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 5 dead in Lebanon clash of Assad foes, backers
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes
- Restaurant torched in 4th night of Sweden riots
- Man shot by FBI had ties to Boston bombing suspect
- Ralph Lauren's 4Q profit rises 35 pct
- Father of man shot in Boston probe shares regrets
- Russian court denies Pussy Riot's Alekhina parole
- Britain: Soldier slaying suspects had been probed