KKK Recruiting Fliers Found in GA Driveways Spark Police Investigation
COVINGTON, Ga. (TheBlaze/AP) — Residents of a Covington, Ga., neighborhood were in for a surprise this morning when they found fliers encouraging them to join the Ku Klux Klan; the leaflets were placed at the end of their driveways. Sheriff’s officials in the Atlanta area are investigating whether any laws were broken when the KKK invites were placed outside homes.
Newton County sheriff’s Deputy Courtney Morrison says the fliers are being reviewed to make sure they don’t contain any inappropriate information or threats. The Newton Citizen reports that the fliers included a drawing of a robed klansman standing in front of a tree with writing that said, “Join the KKK – Loyal White Knights.”
CBS Atlanta reports that police collected more than 30 of the fliers that were folded and packed into plastic sandwich bags and tossed at the end of driveways in the Covington area. Covington is about 35 miles southeast of Atlanta.
A man claiming to be a Imperial Wizard told the outlet that the Covington neighborhood was just one of many between New York and Florida that received the messages encouraging residents to join the KKK. CBS Atlanta reached the individual, who goes by the name Chris Barker, after they called a North Carolina-based phone number that was present on the document.
While clearly not content that they were targeted for recruitment, neighbors had some intriguing reactions. Abdul-Mateen, for one, seemed mildly annoyed.
“They need to get a life, I mean really,” Abdul-Mateen said of the KKK. “I’m hoping it had nothing to do with President Barack Obama being re-elected.”
Wendy Lozynski, another neighbor, noted that the situation is “embarrassing.” She highlighted that she has taught her kids “not to hate” and expressed surprise at the KKK’s tactics.
Watch below for more on this story from CBS Atlanta:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 580 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 518 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 494 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 385 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 313 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 149 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US