Mom Fronts Cash to Pay for Armed Deputy at Daughter’s Elementary School
In the wake of the horrifying tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary last month, one Florida mom isn’t waiting for the school board to make up its mind about whether or not to hire armed guards.
She’s offered to pay for one herself, at the costly rate of $32/hour.
According to the Daytona Beach News-Journal, Laura Lauria has already paid the Flagler County School District for two months of protection at Old Kings Elementary, and has made a “verbal commitment” to pay for the rest of the year after that.
If local media is to judge, the response seems to have been primarily positive within the community.
“I don’t know how you say no to such a wonderful gesture,” Superintendent Janet Valentine remarked. “We really have had an outcry from the community that they would like to see (deputies) at all the schools, and understandably so…”
Sheriff Jim Manfre, meanwhile, said it’s only “Band-Aid” solution until it can be done at every school.
“Nothing is as adequate as having a full-time school resource officer who knows the school, knows the children, knows the building, knows the parents,” Manfre explained. “That’s the best way to provide security at the school.”
The News-Journal continues:
Old Kings staff members are “really thankful” for the additional security, Principal Nancy Willis said. The deputies patrol the entrance and perimeter of the campus, she said.
“I think it’s very good for our students and our employees and I feel like they will feel much safer with a deputy on campus,” she said.
Valentine said she’s hoping a “national push” for more school security will result in federal dollars that will help pay for school deputies. But until then, the schools will accept their parents’ generosity.
“I think sometimes that’s what has to happen — the community needs to step forward and she has,” Valentine said. “We’re so fortunate that she’s done that.”
Families seem supportive also. Second-grader Austin Johnson’s grandmother told WKMG: “If I had the money I’d hire four or five…To know there’s someone there if someone comes in with a gun, they could try and stop them before they kill more children.”
Though the WKMG reporter said that he didn’t talk to a single family critical of the change, as the story has been picked up by national media outlets, the comments have grown increasingly negative.
“America has become a fear-based pit of irrationalism,” one Huffington Post commenter wrote. The Huffington Post article itself concluded with a word from an “expert.”
“Isn’t it more straightforward to just get rid of the guns?” Kenneth Dodge, director of the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University, asked.
FCN has more on the story, including reactions from local residents:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 494 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 378 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 172 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 290 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Stocks end lower as investors reassess Fed worries
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener
- Body of 2nd child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- David Beckham bids au revoir to soccer
- Gap's 1st-quarter profits rises 43 percent
- Committee hits stretch run for NY-NJ Super Bowl