Did You Know There Is Counter-Surveillance Clothing (Including a Burqa) That Can Combat Detection From Drones and X-Ray?
It is expected that the use of drones for surveillance will only increase, as will the use of facial recognition technology. Many have privacy concerns regarding these technologies, but some designers have responded to meet what could be a demand for counter-surveillance clothing.
Meet the the “privacy visor” and the “Stealth Wear hoodie.”
The facial recognition foiling goggles were developed by Japanese scientists to prevent law enforcement, shop mannequins and, if you’re wearing the glasses in a photo, social media sites from identifying you.
“As a result of developments in facial recognition technology in Google images, Facebook et cetera and the popularisation of portable terminals that append photos with photographic information … essential measures for preventing the invasion of privacy caused by photographs taken in secret and unintentional capture in camera images is now required,” Tokyo Institute of Informatics professor Isao Echizen told BBC (via Popular Science).
The Stealth Wear, “anti-drone” hoodie design developed by Adam Harvey uses metallic fabric that hampers thermal imaging systems.
“They work by using highly metallized fibers to reflect heat, thereby masking the wearer’s thermal signature,” his website explains.
In addition to the hoodie, other anti-drone pieces include the burqa and scarf.
“Conceptually, these garments align themselves with the rationale behind the traditional hijab and burqa: to act as ‘the veil which separates man or the world from God,’ replacing God with drone,” Harvey’s website states.
These clothing items are actually for sale. The burqa costs $2,365, the scarf $583 and the hoodie goes for $496.
Harvey’s Stealth Wear collection as a whole, which includes a T-shirt that protects the wearer from X-ray radiation and a cellphone pouch that prevents incoming and outgoing signals, is described on his website as “a vision for fashion that addresses the rise of surveillance, the power of those who surveil, and the growing need to exert control over what we are slowly losing, our privacy.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 569 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 360 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 268 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 249 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 144 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Sanabia : I didn't know spitter was against rules
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split