Does This Photo Make You Feel Aggressive? A Study Suggests It Might
How do you feel when you see this?
How about this?
Are your hands balled into fists? Are you making a tense face, possibly biting your tongue because they’re just so dang cute you’re thinking you might want to eat them?
If so, you might have “cute aggression.”
New research presented at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology’s annual meeting studied the odd feelings some people seem to have when they see cute images, be it animals, babies, etc.
“We think it’s about high positive-affect, an approach orientation and almost a sense of lost control,” study researcher Rebecca Dyer, a graduate student in psychology at Yale University, said according to Live Science. “You know, you can’t stand it, you can’t handle it, that kind of thing.”
Live Science reported that study participants were told they were going to be monitored for motor activity and memory. They were given bubble wrap to pop — if they wanted – while they watched slideshows. What the researchers found was people watching a slideshow of cute images popped an average of 120 bubbles, funny images only resulted in 80 bubbles popped and neutral images 100 bubbles.
Here’s some of the analysis of these findings from Live Science:
Dyer said she and her colleagues aren’t yet sure why cuteness seems to trigger expressions of aggression, even relatively harmless ones. It’s possible that seeing a wide-eyed baby or roly-poly pup triggers our drive to care for that creature, Dyer said. But since the animal is just a picture, and since even in real life we might not be able to care for the creature as much as we want, this urge may be frustrated, she said. That frustration could lead to aggression.
Or the reason might not be specific to cuteness, Dyer said. Many overwhelmingly positive emotions look negative, as when Miss America sobs while receiving her crown. Such high levels of positive emotion may overwhelm people.
“It might be that how we deal with high positive-emotion is to sort of give it a negative pitch somehow, Dyer said. “That sort of regulates, keeps us level and releases that energy.”
If you’re not already about to go all Lennie from “Of Mice and Men” from seeing these cute photos, check out this amazingly cute video on TheBlaze Blog of a gerbil that somehow is able to stuff a huge gerbil breadstick nearly twice its size into its mouth.
Featured image via Shutterstock.com.
(H/T: Huffington Post)
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 580 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 518 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 494 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 385 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 313 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US