‘Insane’ Mother Who Confessed to Drowning Her 3-Year-Old in 2010 Is Now a Free Woman — But How?
Jennifer Bingham drowned her 3-year-old baby girl in 2010, and just three years later she is walking free.
Initially deemed insane, a Stanislaus County judge now says she has regained her sanity, thus securing her freedom. Bingham admitted to killing her little girl three years ago in court and was found not guilty by reason of insanity.
“I understand why people would be upset, but what you have to understand is a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity, means not guilty,” University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Prof. John Meyers told CBS Sacramento.
Bingham faced the easier fate with the verdict of insanity. And when the time came, instead of sending her to a mental hospital, a pair of doctors said she had regained her sanity. She was released on Tuesday.
“It may seem anomalous to people that a person who murders a child could go quote ‘free’ after three years, but what people need to remember is that if it’s a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity, don’t forget the not guilty part,” Meyers explained, adding that the doctors’ report likely played a big role in the judge’s decision.
He went on: “Since we found you not guilty, we can only keep you in the hospital as long as you’re a danger to yourself or others; and once a person is no longer dangerous, they have an absolute right to be released.”
It’s unclear whether the district attorney’s office will take any further action in the case.
(H/T: Daily Mail)
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 488 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 475 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 374 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 302 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 132 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 233 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 108 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 109 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- Coen, Guirgis bound for Atlantic Theater Company
- Body of child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- Obama endorses more oversight of drone strikes
- CORRECTS: Obama: No drone strikes without 'near certainty' of no civilian casualties.
- Study: Amphibians disappearing at alarming rate
- Obama announces he's lifting 2009 ban on transfers of Guantanamo detainees to Yemen
- Shuttered NM plant resumes making peanut butter
- Obama:No drone strikes on suspected terrorists without 'near certainty' of civilian casualties