Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and Fox News have parted ways.
The 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee’s contract as a paid network contributor has ended and will not be renewed, Fox News’ executive vice president of programming said Friday.
“We have thoroughly enjoyed our association with Governor Palin. We wish her the best in her future endeavors,” Bill Shine said in a statement to TheBlaze.
A source close to Palin told Real Clear Politics, which was first to report the news, that it was Palin who “decided not to renew the arrangement.”
“It’s my understanding that Gov. Palin was offered a contract by Fox, and she decided not to renew the arrangement,” the source told Real Clear Politics. “She remains focused on broadening her message of common-sense conservatism across the country and will be expanding her voice in the national discussion.”
A Fox spokeswoman did not address those remarks in an email to TheBlaze.
Signs of friction between Palin and the network emerged over the summer when Palin took to Facebook and wrote that “Fox canceled all my scheduled interviews” during one night of the Republican National Convention.
At the time, Shine said the RNC’s condensed schedule made it necessary to bump Palin.
“Our plans changed based on the fact that the RNC condensed the schedule of speeches from four nights to three. We look forward to having Governor Palin back as soon as we can,” he said.
According to the New York Times, Palin was in negotiations with Fox News for a new contract last week. Her original contract started in January 2010 and ended this month; her last appearance on the network was in mid-December.
This post has been updated.