Obama Attacks Fox; Find Out Which Host Fired Back Here
President Obama’s White House has a troubled history with conservative and/or right-leaning media, and has done pretty much since the president took office. The rancor on both sides is generally equivalent.
Certainly, an equal amount of rancor was loosed this weekend from both sides, when President Obama criticized Republicans for being overly beholden to Fox News and radio host Rush Limbaugh, only to have one prominent Fox host fire back accusing him of thin skinned dishonesty.
First, there was President Obama’s comment itself, which he made in an interview with the liberal magazine The New Republic (emphasis added):
Well, look, I’ve always believed that there are a bunch of Republicans of goodwill who would rather get something done than suffer through the sort of nasty atmosphere that prevails in Washington right now. It’s not a fun time to be a member of Congress.
And I think if you talk privately to Democrats and Republicans, particularly those who have been around for a while, they long for the days when they could socialize and introduce bipartisan legislation and feel productive. So I don’t think the issue is whether or not there are people of goodwill in either party that want to get something done. I think what we really have to do is change some of the incentive structures so that people feel liberated to pursue some common ground.
One of the biggest factors is going to be how the media shapes debates. If a Republican member of Congress is not punished on Fox News or by Rush Limbaugh for working with a Democrat on a bill of common interest, then you’ll see more of them doing it.
This mention of Fox by name prompted an angry reaction from Fox host Greta van Susteren, who fired back on her blog with the following criticism:
Apparently President Obama wants his usual media pass and Fox challenges his policies – which happens to be the media’s job.[...]
And do you know what else? Brace yourself for this one! Some Democrats have told me that they want to come on Fox to discuss issues but they get heat from their Leadership for appearing on Fox. Does President Obama know that? So which Party is intimidating its members? And to say Senator Harry Reid is willing to compromise is just wrong. He has not allowed a budget to get to the Senate Floor for years to even begin a discussion. The budget process is where all compromise begins and ends and ended it before it even got started.
This is not the first time the Obama administration and Fox News have clashed. Back in 2009, White House spokesman Anita Dunn called Fox “opinion journalism masquerading as news,” only to be blasted by the network’s hosts repeatedly, and scathingly memorialized by Fox News contributor Andrea Tantaros when she (Dunn) left the White House.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,036 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 151 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 107 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sharks hang on to beat Kings 2-1 and tie series
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Bruins rally, push Rangers to brink of elimination
- Spurs can't ease up despite 2-0 lead on Grizzlies
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Gov't dysfunction may be baked into the system
- Bay Bowl: San Francisco to host 50th Super Bowl
- Immigration bill heads to full Senate