Horrific Reports of People Cooking & Eating Their Children — and Digging Up Corpses — Come Amid NKorean Famine
While it’s certainly not the first allegation of cannibalism to come from North Korea, it’s equally as disturbing as those that preceded it. Troubling reports of a rise in starvation — and cannibalism — have emerged inside of a nation that continues to be intensely-secretive and shut off from the wider global community. According to an independent outlet called Asia Press, North Koreans are so desperate that they are increasingly turning to corpses and even murdering their own children for food.
One man allegedly dug up his grandchild’s corpse and ate it. Another purportedly killed and boiled his child for food. Of late, yet another individual has reportedly been executed for killing two of his children for the same purposes.
“In my village in May a man who killed his own two children and tried to eat them was executed by a firing squad,” one informant said of the latter incident.
According to the source, the father killed his daughter while his wife was away on business. Then, he killed the son because the latter child had witnessed his sister’s murder. When the wife came back from her trip, her husband said that they now had “meat.” After becoming suspicious, she contacted authorities who later discovered parts of the children’s bodies.
The “hidden famine,” as it has been called in North and South Hwanghae, is what appears to be driving this alleged horror. According to the Daily Mail, up to 10,000 individuals have lost their lives due to a lack of food — a figure that encapsulates the extreme desperation that may be driving the unthinkable.
Of course, the secretive and insular nature of the North Korean government makes it difficult to ascertain definitively whether instances involving human beings consuming one another are actually on the rise as some sources have claimed. Asia Press, the independent outlet issuing these reports, describes itself as a media venue that is trying to be “free from any dependence on capital and authority.”
While outlandish and unbelievable, this isn’t the first time the international community has heard similar stories. In the past, numerous reports about cannibalism have come from North Korea. The Daily Mail highlights some of these past instances:
In May last year, the South Korean state-run Korean Institute for National Unification said that one man was executed after eating part of a colleague and then trying to sell the remains as mutton.
One man killed and ate a girl and a third report of cannibalism was recorded from 2011.
Another man was executed in May after murdering 11 people and selling the bodies as pork.
In Oct. 2011, TheBlaze reported about Kim Hye Sook and the unbearable pain and emotional suffering that she endured during her 28-year detention in a secretive North Korean concentration camp. Brutal executions, starvation — even mothers killing and eating their children to ensure their own survival — were regular occurrences.
In an interview with CBN News, Sook recalled a mother boiling her 9-year-old daughter. In a separate fit of desperation, a woman killed her 16-year-old son, chopped him up and took him to a butcher to obtain some corn in exchange.
(H/T: Daily Mail)
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 419 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 374 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 298 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 110 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 212 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 173 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senators warm to transportation nominee
- Judge seals affidavit of Maine man in teen's death
- Man who kidnapped 2 Iowa girls had long record
- HP's slumps deepens in 2Q as earnings fall 32 pct
- Faith healers charged with murder after 2nd death
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury
- Soldier charged with videotaping women