So Why Have Military Helicopters Been Flying Over Miami? We Explain, Plus See the Videos
A number of Miami residents have been startled to see military helicopters buzzing above their heads throughout the past week. The helicopters have been seen circling the skies, soldier-like figures have apparently been repelling onto rooftops, and some have even reported hearing what sounds like gunfire. So what’s going on?
According to officials, there’s nothing to be concerned about. But that hasn’t stopped a number of local residents from raising concern.
The Miami Herald related about a week ago, before the drills started:
Miami-Dade police sent out a warning [last] Monday that multiple police agencies would be providing support for a joint military training exercise somewhere over Miami and elsewhere in the county. The exercise will include the use of military helicopters.
The police statement said the training locations and times “were carefully selected to minimize negatively impacting the citizens of the City of Miami/Miami-Dade County and their daily routines.”
But it also acknowledged that there would be some impact on residents.
“This is routine training conducted by military personnel designed to ensure the military’s ability to operate in urban environments, prepare forces for upcoming overseas deployments, and meet mandatory training certification requirement,” the police statement said.
But those who don’t read the papers were terrified at the sight of soldiers rappelling onto rooftops, as what sounded like machine gun fire echoed off the high-rises.
Josh Epperson, an artist who was visiting Miami during the drill, remarked: “I heard the machine gun fire and then I hit the deck…I didn’t know what to expect, and it was one of the loudest things I’d ever heard.”
And he isn’t alone — a number of Miami residents have already uploaded videos to YouTube of the unexpected sight.
One man caught the choppers from a window high above the city on his camera phone:
However, this isn’t the first time military helicopters have flown over Miami. CBS Miami notes that a similar training operation was conducted in April of 2011.
And the drills are not limited to Miami — TheBlaze’s Liz Klimas reported on Black Hawk helicopters whizzing above Minneapolis buildings over the summer for a similar urban training exercise.
Either way, the videos are pretty remarkable. Skip to about 1:30 to hear what sounded like a machine gun to Epperson:
- Minneapolis Residents Catch Footage of Black Hawks Conducting Urban Training Exercise
- ‘We Have Never Seen Anything Like This Before’: Beck and Military Weigh In on Army’s Public Training Exercises
- ‘Wake Up and Smell the Unrest’: Experts Say ‘TrapWire’ Surveillance Overhyped But It Raises Important Civil Liberties Issues
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 596 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 522 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 410 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 341 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 297 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 296 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 154 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- A list of previous Palme d'Or winners at Cannes
- Iranian director facing jail appears in Cannes
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner
- Palme d'Or race wide open at Cannes Film Festival
- Beckham not in PSG squad for last game vs. Lorient
- 10 things to know for the Champions League final
- Rosberg fastest again in crash-marred 3rd practice