Would You Believe This Body Part Could Be Used to Reveal Your Identity?
When people think of collecting biometric data for identification, they think eye scans, facial recognition or finger printing. But a new study has revealed that another, more unexpected scan could be more accurate: knee scans.
That’s right, your kneecaps are more uniquely identifying than you might think.
The research published by computer scientist Lior Shamir of Lawrence Technological University in the International Journal of Biometrics used MRI scans of the knees of more than 2,000 patients to show that the images were about 93 percent accurate at identifying the correct person.
Use of this technology could be more accurate, according to Shamir, than other biometrics because it is harder for people to try and alter.
“Deceptive manipulation requires an invasive and complicated medical procedure, and therefore it is more resistant to spoofing compared to methods such as face, fingerprints, or iris,” Shamir said in a statement.
Use of this technology is part of the larger work of internal biometrics, which could be used while people are passing through airport security or entering a secure building to name a couple examples. Using MRI too has fewer health risks compared to X-ray and avoids the scanners that reveal details under clothing like the controversial backscatter machines.
The problem at this point with MRI for these purposes, according to a press release about the research, is that the machines are large and images currently take a relatively long time to process. Imaging knees also wouldn’t account for those who have had replacement surgery.
- Big Brother: $1B ‘Next Generation Identification’ Program Will Track People Using Facial Recognition
- Criminal Finger Printing Could Soon Be Done by an iPhone
- Report: U.S. Collected ‘Incredibly Sensitive’ Biometric Info on 10% of Iraqi Population
Featured image via Shutterstock.com.
(H/T: Huffington Post)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 423 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 376 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 110 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 208 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Police: Suicidal jumper's fall kills SKorean girl
- I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river, injuring 3
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
- Asia stocks extend losses after big sell-off
- 5 climbers missing on world's 3rd highest mountain
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash