Wis. Sheriff Who Encouraged Residents to Arm Themselves Takes On Anti-Gun Piers Morgan
Milwaukee sheriff David Clarke, Jr. made headlines earlier this week by urging residents to become responsible gun owners so they can defend themselves during situations when first responders are unable to get there in time. On Tuesday night, the sheriff joined Piers Morgan on CNN where he was berated and criticized for making such “irresponsible” statements.
Morgan accused Clarke of using a “Hollywood voice” and dramatizing the serious debate surrounding gun control, to which Clarke replied, “this is my voice.” The sheriff explained that his department has limited resources and it is unrealistic to expect police to be able to respond in time to each and every emergency.
Morgan then attempted to discredit firearms as an effective means of self-protection, asking how many people actually defended themselves or their families by firing a gun in Milwaukee. Clarke said he did not have a figure off the top of his head.
“You haven’t got a clue, have you?” Morgan said in a condescending tone.
“You want to arm everybody in Milwaukee. You do these racy Hollywood-style adverts, you want them all out there, armed and shooting,” Morgan continued. “What you’re creating is a return to the Wild West in Milwaukee. So I think it’s actually relevant that you don’t have any idea how many people actually need a firearm at home to defend themselves.”
Morgan hardly let Clarke get a word in the debate as he repeatedly interrupted and berated his guest. Finally, Clarke asked, “Are we going to have an honest exchange here or are you just going to talk over me?”
The sheriff explained that a citizen’s decision to own a firearm is an “individual responsibility” and it’s not up to him to decide who should or should not own a gun.
“No, no, no. I’m not going to let you get away with that,” Morgan interrupted yet again. He then repeatedly spoke over Clarke.
“I said you can hide under the bed,” Clarke said. “Those are choices the individual has to make, not law enforcement.”
Morgan’s counterargument? He said it is no longer a “personal choice” when a sheriff encourages people to become gun owners. He did not clarify exactly what he meant by that. Using that line of reasoning, every single Milwaukee resident would have bought a gun just because the sheriff encouraged it, apparently unable to make the decision on their own.
Watch the segment via CNN/Mediaite below:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 579 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 516 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 493 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 312 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 266 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 149 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom