Wayne LaPierre Hits Back During Hearing: ‘Background Checks Will Never Be Universal Because Criminals Will Never Submit to Them’
National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre on Wednesday assailed universal background checks and other new proposed gun regulations, declaring that “law-abiding gun owners” won’t take the blame for “violent or deranged criminals.”
In his opening statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee following last month’s elementary school in Newtown, Conn., LaPierre called on lawmakers to enforce “the thousands of gun laws already on the books,” rather than create new ones.
“Prosecuting criminals who misuse firearms works,” LaPierre said. “Proposing more gun laws while failing to enforce the ones we already have, it’s not a serious solution for reducing crime.”
LaPierre delivered his statement shortly after former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords urged her former congressional colleagues to take “bold” action to prevent more gun violence. Giffords was seriously injured when a gunman shot her in the head during a 2011 shooting spree that left six others dead in Tucson, Ariz.
President Barack Obama earlier this month signed a number of executive orders aimed at curbing gun violence, but has called on Congress to act on a new “assault weapons” ban and universal background checks for gun buyers.
“Law-abiding gun owners will not accept blame for the acts of violent or deranged criminals, nor do we believe that government should dictate what we can lawfully own and use to protect our families,” LaPierre said Wednesday. “We need to be honest about what works and what does not work.”
He said semi-automatic weapons have been “around for 100 years,” are among the most popular for hunting and protection, and that many studies “including one from the Clinton Justice Department” have concluded that banning them has no impact on crime.
“When it comes to be background checks let’s be honest,” LaPierre said. “Background checks will never be ‘universal,’ because criminals will never submit to them.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 483 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 452 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 437 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 334 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 321 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 149 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- Kenya's mental hospital drugs, confines patients
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Madrid's Catholic Church says it needs exorcists
- Fire official: 18 injured in crash between shuttle bus, tractor-trailer near Atlanta airport
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load