Would You Believe This Common Household Pet Is the Cold-Blooded Killer of 15% of the Bird Population?
Owners of domesticated cats might have received a dead bird offering (or two) at their doorstep as a “gift.” But would you believe the seemingly cuddly felines are actually contributing to the death of billions (yes, billions) of birds and mammals each year.
Turns out pet cats are cold blooded killers. A study published in the journal “Nature Communications” found “free-ranging” domesticated cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and between 6.9 and 20.7 billion small mammals each year.
Live Science reported this to be 15 percent of the total bird population in the United States, according to Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute ecologist and study co-author Pete Marra.
Here’s more from Live Science on the study:
For this broader analysis, the team first looked at all prior studies on bird deaths and estimated that around 84 million owned-cats live in the country, many of which are allowed outdoors.
“A lot of these cats may go outside and go to 10 different houses, but they go back to their house and cuddle up on Mr. Smith’s lap at night,” Marra said.
Based on an analysis of past studies, the researchers estimated that each of those felines killed between four and 18 birds a year, and between eight and 21 small mammals per year.
Granted, its the ownerless, feral cats that cause the most bloodshed, according to the study.
And if you brought a cat into your home to keep mice at bay, the study also found the felines seem to prefer native species like voles and chipmunks, Live Science reported.
Given the effect of cats on native wildlife, one man in New Zealand has recently been advocating a complete cat ban. Mashable reported last week about businessman and philanthropist Gareth Morgan’s #catstogo campaign on Twitter.
Here’s an infographic from Morgan’s campaign:
The Smithsonian researchers suggest, first and foremost, keeping domesticated cats inside to help curb the killings. But, as Live Science pointed out, the larger issue are roaming kitties with no owner.
Featured image via Shutterstock.com.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 466 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 326 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 325 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 263 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 151 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 199 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 139 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- EU leaders discuss fight against tax evasion
- UK, Denmark eye visas for Afghan interpreters
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Conn. rail service returns to normal
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomb kills anti-Taliban elder
- US test-launches intercontinental missile
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision