Krauthammer Blasts Hagel: ‘Incredibly Remarkable Lack of Competence’
Appearing on Fox News’ “Special Report” with Bret Baier on Thursday, syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer blasted Chuck Hagel’s performance at his Senate confirmation hearing on Thursday, saying he displayed an “astonishing lack of competence.”
“His problem is a demonstrated, incredibly remarkable lack of competence,” Krauthammer began.
He also argued Hagel’s honesty was called into question as he was forced to either walk back or change his position on a number of issues.
“He’s been denying essentially the essence of a dozen statements and ideas that he’s said in the past. And now he says all of a sudden, ‘oh no, you know, on Iran I’ve changed my mind,’” Krauthammer said.
“From both sides,” Baier pointed out. “On the gay issue, on climate change, on other things.”
Hagel appears to have “seen the light” on a number of issues overnight, conveniently while he is being challenged by members of Congress on his record, Krauthammer added.
“What happened today was shocking because it showed an astonishing lack of competence. I mean he was wobbly, he was weak, bumbling,” he continued.
Krauthammer also slammed Hagel for his handling of Sen. Lindsey Graham’s (R-S.C.) question on his previous remarks in which he accused “the Jewish lobby” of intimidating a lot of people in Washington.
During Thursday’s hearing, Hagel expanded his apology for the way he phrased his comments.
“I’ve already said I regret referencing the Jewish lobby,” Hagel said. “I should have said pro-Israel lobby. I think it’s the only time on the record I’ve ever said that.”
Featured image via Getty
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 442 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 425 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 425 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 321 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 274 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 182 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 136 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 126 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 243 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Obama honors Carole King at White House concert
- Who else took the 5th? Baseball star, banker, more
- FBI: Arrest made in Wash. state ricin letter scare
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday
- Okla. men get video of deadly tornado overhead