Meet the Great White Shark Named ‘Mary Lee’ That’s Casing the Waters Off the Hampton’s Coast
It might be the dead of winter and no one in East Hampton is thinking about heading into the water now, but the presence of a great white shark in the area is an added deterrent.
The shark being tracked by OCEARCH named “Mary Lee” (more about how she received that name below) swam down to Florida in September but was noticed heading back up the East Coast in early January, the East Hampton Patch reported.
The Patch reported Coast Guard Petty Officer Patrick Rogers at the Shinnecock station saying that he’d never seen a great white in these waters before, but people shouldn’t be too concerned given that the animal is swimming away from the coast.
OCEARCH’s Chris Fischer told the Patch of the 35 sharks the non-profit is tracking none are as “visible” as 16-foot, 3,456-pound Mary Lee. The trackers placed on the sharks “ping” when their dorsal fin surfaces above water, which allows the researchers to pinpoint locations.
“Most of the sharks we have tagged swim out in the ocean and we don’t hear from them much, but Mary Lee is super coastal — people are following her everyday,” he told the Patch.
The Patch continued to explain that OCEARCH’s tagging process takes about 15 minutes and involves hauling the beast aboard their research vessel and keeping a running hose through its mouth during the process.
“Mary Lee is the first shark in history we are able to track like this,” Fischer continued.
And what’s up with the name Mary Lee? The Patch found out:
Mary Lee was named after Fischer’s mother. He said Mary Lee is one of the most fascinating sharks he has ever tagged.
“My parents have done so much. I was waiting and waiting for a special shark to name after her and this is truly the most historic and legendary fish I have ever been a part of,” he wrote on OCEARCH’s website.
According to OCEARCH’s website, the project is tracking sharks to better understand reproductive behavior, behavior of juveniles, seasonal habits and more in order to present data for decision makers to ensure sustainability of the species.
Here’s a video from CNN showing footage of Mary Lee being tagged in September and reporting on the word that was spread when she entered a public beach area in Florida before heading north again earlier this month:
Keep tabs on Mary Lee and other great white sharks tagged by OCEARCH here.
- ‘A Real Shock’ Fishermen Stunned When Great White Shark Devours Another Shark Next to Their Boat
- Viral Video: Shark Stealing Woman’s First Catch Gets Nearly 2 Million Views in 2 Days
- ‘Talk About Jaws, This Is the Real Deal’: Great White Shark Circles Fishing Boat Off of Oahu Coast
- Great White Shark Feeds on Dead Seal While Family Films it From Their Boat
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 159 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 227 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 112 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 101 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Afghan students protest women's rights decree
- Oil below $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
- Bank of England remains divided on stimulus
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Monroe's photos for Prague exhibition stolen
- World stocks mixed ahead of Fed chief testimony