‘Racist Witch!’: The Left Goes Nuts After Falling for Parody Site’s Fake Story About Ann Coulter
The Daily Currant, like The Onion, is a parody site. In other words, the stories that they publish are not intended to be taken seriously as they are entirely false.
But that didn’t stop several people from reporting one of the Daily Currant’s stories about conservative firebrand Ann Coulter as fact. The story, titled “Ann Coulter Refuses to Board Airplane With Black Pilot,” argued that Coulter refused to board a plane because she feared the black pilot got her job as a result of affirmative action, thus making her unqualified to fly. This is, of course, completely false.
According to passengers, at that point Coulter stood at the front of the cabin and began screaming her concerns to the entire flight as they finished boarding.
“Aw come on people, a black woman flying a plane? You know she got that job through affirmative action. Am I the only one worried about this? I mean hello? Our lives are at stake here…”
“Other goofball jokes that should make it OBVIOUS this was a parody include a TSA spokesman named “Dirk Diggler” (haven’t these people seen Boogie Nights) and the fact that the PR flak called Coulter “mentally ill” rather than give the usual measured bureaucratic response. Oh, there’s also a line about Coulter asking her fellow flight-mates if we should just allow Mexicans to become doctors,” Mediaite’s Andrew Kirell notes.
It’s not the first time that people have been fooled by a parody story. The Onion is particularly notorious for duping people with their content. The Daily Currant also fooled many with its fake story about Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly assaulting a department store Santa.
Several people took to Twitter to attack Coulter for being such a “racist pig.”
A racist witch! Ann Coulter Refuses to Board Airplane With Black Pilot dailycurrant.com/2013/01/29/ann…
— Glorious Johnson (@LadyGloriousjax) January 31, 2013
Ann Coulter Refuses to Board Airplane With Black Pilot. Yeah, not racist at all…
— Carlos Adama (@Carlos_Adama) January 31, 2013
— Leann (@lbnassar) January 31, 2013
Ann Coulter is a racist pig with absolutely no soul. twitter.com/tessophagus/st…
— tess michaela ⚡ (@tessophagus) January 31, 2013
Ann Coulter refuses to board airplane because of black pilot -No that’s racist!!! dailycurrant.com/2013/01/29/ann…
— ReneeKelly PR Girl (@ReneeKellyGirl) January 30, 2013
— Yara Karmalawy (@YaraKarmalawy) January 30, 2013
Kirell provides us with a few more:
To be fair, some people eventually realized they had been had and issued correcting tweets.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 538 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 492 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 296 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 132 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 186 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 134 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- NBC to air Blake Shelton's benefit for Oklahomans
- Bowie Young takes early lead on short course
- Feds look for temporary fix after I-5 collapse
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split
- Toronto mayor says he doesn't smoke crack cocaine
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Patrick: Another Indy 500 'less and less likely'