‘Racist Witch!’: The Left Goes Nuts After Falling for Parody Site’s Fake Story About Ann Coulter
The Daily Currant, like The Onion, is a parody site. In other words, the stories that they publish are not intended to be taken seriously as they are entirely false.
But that didn’t stop several people from reporting one of the Daily Currant’s stories about conservative firebrand Ann Coulter as fact. The story, titled “Ann Coulter Refuses to Board Airplane With Black Pilot,” argued that Coulter refused to board a plane because she feared the black pilot got her job as a result of affirmative action, thus making her unqualified to fly. This is, of course, completely false.
According to passengers, at that point Coulter stood at the front of the cabin and began screaming her concerns to the entire flight as they finished boarding.
“Aw come on people, a black woman flying a plane? You know she got that job through affirmative action. Am I the only one worried about this? I mean hello? Our lives are at stake here…”
“Other goofball jokes that should make it OBVIOUS this was a parody include a TSA spokesman named “Dirk Diggler” (haven’t these people seen Boogie Nights) and the fact that the PR flak called Coulter “mentally ill” rather than give the usual measured bureaucratic response. Oh, there’s also a line about Coulter asking her fellow flight-mates if we should just allow Mexicans to become doctors,” Mediaite’s Andrew Kirell notes.
It’s not the first time that people have been fooled by a parody story. The Onion is particularly notorious for duping people with their content. The Daily Currant also fooled many with its fake story about Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly assaulting a department store Santa.
Several people took to Twitter to attack Coulter for being such a “racist pig.”
A racist witch! Ann Coulter Refuses to Board Airplane With Black Pilot dailycurrant.com/2013/01/29/ann…
— Glorious Johnson (@LadyGloriousjax) January 31, 2013
Ann Coulter Refuses to Board Airplane With Black Pilot. Yeah, not racist at all…
— Carlos Adama (@Carlos_Adama) January 31, 2013
— Leann (@lbnassar) January 31, 2013
Ann Coulter is a racist pig with absolutely no soul. twitter.com/tessophagus/st…
— tess michaela ⚡ (@tessophagus) January 31, 2013
Ann Coulter refuses to board airplane because of black pilot -No that’s racist!!! dailycurrant.com/2013/01/29/ann…
— ReneeKelly PR Girl (@ReneeKellyGirl) January 30, 2013
— Yara Karmalawy (@YaraKarmalawy) January 30, 2013
Kirell provides us with a few more:
To be fair, some people eventually realized they had been had and issued correcting tweets.
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Syria govt to take part in peace conference
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
- IRS replaces official who revealed targeting
- Obama balances threats against Americans' rights
- Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
- Rangers top Bruins in OT, force Game 5 in Boston
- Blackhawks hope to rally from 3-1 series deficit