‘Racist Witch!’: The Left Goes Nuts After Falling for Parody Site’s Fake Story About Ann Coulter
The Daily Currant, like The Onion, is a parody site. In other words, the stories that they publish are not intended to be taken seriously as they are entirely false.
But that didn’t stop several people from reporting one of the Daily Currant’s stories about conservative firebrand Ann Coulter as fact. The story, titled “Ann Coulter Refuses to Board Airplane With Black Pilot,” argued that Coulter refused to board a plane because she feared the black pilot got her job as a result of affirmative action, thus making her unqualified to fly. This is, of course, completely false.
According to passengers, at that point Coulter stood at the front of the cabin and began screaming her concerns to the entire flight as they finished boarding.
“Aw come on people, a black woman flying a plane? You know she got that job through affirmative action. Am I the only one worried about this? I mean hello? Our lives are at stake here…”
“Other goofball jokes that should make it OBVIOUS this was a parody include a TSA spokesman named “Dirk Diggler” (haven’t these people seen Boogie Nights) and the fact that the PR flak called Coulter “mentally ill” rather than give the usual measured bureaucratic response. Oh, there’s also a line about Coulter asking her fellow flight-mates if we should just allow Mexicans to become doctors,” Mediaite’s Andrew Kirell notes.
It’s not the first time that people have been fooled by a parody story. The Onion is particularly notorious for duping people with their content. The Daily Currant also fooled many with its fake story about Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly assaulting a department store Santa.
Several people took to Twitter to attack Coulter for being such a “racist pig.”
A racist witch! Ann Coulter Refuses to Board Airplane With Black Pilot dailycurrant.com/2013/01/29/ann…
— Glorious Johnson (@LadyGloriousjax) January 31, 2013
Ann Coulter Refuses to Board Airplane With Black Pilot. Yeah, not racist at all…
— Carlos Adama (@Carlos_Adama) January 31, 2013
— Leann (@lbnassar) January 31, 2013
Ann Coulter is a racist pig with absolutely no soul. twitter.com/tessophagus/st…
— tess michaela ⚡ (@tessophagus) January 31, 2013
Ann Coulter refuses to board airplane because of black pilot -No that’s racist!!! dailycurrant.com/2013/01/29/ann…
— ReneeKelly PR Girl (@ReneeKellyGirl) January 30, 2013
— Yara Karmalawy (@YaraKarmalawy) January 30, 2013
Kirell provides us with a few more:
To be fair, some people eventually realized they had been had and issued correcting tweets.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 998 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 437 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 392 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 158 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 186 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 102 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Fire chief says search almost complete in Oklahoma
- Protesters rally over IRS' tea party scrutiny
- JPMorgan's Dimon survives shareholder referendum
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Microsoft touts Xbox One as all-in-1 entertainment
- Arias asks jury to give her life in prison
- Committee nears final vote on immigration bill
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes