Al Gore: Fox News & Talk Radio ‘Propaganda’ Has Created a ‘Hostile Environment’ for Progressives
Al Gore said President Barack Obama was forced to be cautious during his first term in office because of the “propaganda” served up by Fox News and talk radio that created a “hostile environment for progressive ideas.”
The former vice president — who has been on somewhat of a media whirlwind since the sale his Current TV to Arab news network Al-Jazeera — made the comment during an interview to promote his latest book with PBS’ Charlie Rose this week in New York.
“I think it has been a pretty hostile environment for progressive ideas,” Gore said.
“And why is that?” Rose asked. “That you’re saying it’s a very hostile environment for progressive ideas because of the importance of money in corporations? Or — ”
” — and Fox News and the right-wing talk radio,” Gore said as the audience laughed. “It’s not that complicated. In Tennessee there’s an old saying, if you see a turtle on a fence post you can be pretty sure it didn’t get there by itself. And the fact that we have 24/7 propaganda masquerading as news, you know it does have an impact.”
Gore went on to decry “the lobbying situation, the big money situation” that leave progressiveness at a disadvantage. Rose named the conservative Koch brothers, but pointed out there are equally well-funded individuals on the liberal side. Gore interrupted that that it was a “false equivalency,” and the audience cheered.
He also had some kind words for billionaire investor George Soros.
“People talk about George Soros — George Soros is a wonderful guy and he’s had an influence, I wish he had more influence.”
(H/T: Fox Nation)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 591 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 326 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 283 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him