Man Goes on Wild Stabbing Rampage at Vancouver Apartment Building — Gun Control Debate Ensues
Vancouver police on Thursday night arrested a seemingly deranged man who ran through the hallway of an apartment building stabbing and slicing people at random.
The stabbing rampage left seven people injured, six of which were taken to the hospital and one remains in critical condition, according to officials. Three of those individuals had been released from the hospital as of Friday morning.
Witnesses described a terrifying scene to CTV News where a 33-year-old man began stabbing residents for no reason.
“There were about six or eight cop cars on the scene. People were hanging over their balconies directing police, so obviously they could see the [suspect],” witness Angela Robinson told CTV News.
“I heard the police shout, ‘Vancouver Police, stay where you are,’ a few times and then I thought it would be best to get out of there,” she added.
Vancouver police Sgt. Randy Fincham said the only thing the stabbing victims have in common is the fact that they live in the same apartment building and were unfortunately around when the stabbing spree began. Investigators are still trying to determine motive.
“It appears that a lot of these victims were unrelated to each other and they had no dealings with each other tonight,” Fincham said.
“It was a very vicious, very serious attack. There were multiple victims in this,” he added.
Police eventually found and arrested a 33-year-old man they believe to be the suspect. Officials don’t think he is a resident of the apartment complex. The suspect had not been charged as of Friday afternoon.
“We’re looking at how he got into the building, or what he was doing in the building at that time,” Fincham explained.
Some have already took to social networks like Twitter to mock gun control by sarcastically calling for a “knife registry” and “knife control.”
— edwardmba (@edwardmba) February 1, 2013
— Elaine Murray (@emlaughsallot88) February 1, 2013
A Vancouver man goes on a stabbing spree! I’m calling for tighter knife control! Take everyone’s knifes away.
— Mike Doran (@miked65) February 1, 2013
Meanwhile, others argued that there were no fatalities because the man used a knife instead of a gun — meaning gun control worked.
Yet another example of a knife rampage without a casualty. Can we now stop equating the lethality of guns and knives?m.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-c…
— Alexander Cutler (@wheresthemind) February 1, 2013
— davidfrum (@davidfrum) February 1, 2013
And this is why gun control works: Canadian nut goes on rampage, no one dies ctvnews.ca/canada/vancouv… End of discussion.
— GabriellePrendergast (@GabrielleSaraP) February 1, 2013
Prime Minister Stephen Harper previously bragged that Canada has much stricter gun control laws than the U.S. In an interview with Quebec’s TVA network, he said that “the most important thing to remember is that Canada has a gun control system that is much more strong and strict than the Americans.”
According to gunpolicy.org, the right of private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law in Canada. Instead, a chief firearms officer determines whether a person is eligible to own a firearm based on an array of qualifications.
Featured image via shutterstock.com
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 577 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 511 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 492 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 382 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 305 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 264 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 148 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos