Reddit Users Help Raise More Than $18,000 for Mall Security Guard Who Tased Abrasive Mom in Viral Vid
Reddit users have helped raise more than $18,000 to buy new and better equipment for “kick ass mall cop” Darien Long after video of him using his Taser on an out of control mother went viral.
The incident that quickly garnered national attention occurred about eight months ago at Atlanta’s Metro Mall. It all began when Long, who is both the on-site manager and security guard at the mall, attempted to quiet a group of children who were making noise, prompting the kids’ mother to begin harassing and threatening him.
Long showed incredible patience and restraint as the mother and a number of other women berated him continuously. Even the young children eventually began mocking the security guard, calling him “gay.”
The mother who started the initial confrontation eventually assaulted Long, forcing him to use his Taser on the woman.
The entire ordeal was recorded on the camera on Long’s bulletproof vest. The video, posted on Reddit Tuesday, has since gone viral.
Long now has a formidable group of online supporters who are applauding his handling of the situation. The fundraising effort on crowdtilt.com will reportedly go towards purchasing Long better gear and equipment.
As of 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, the Internet campaign had raised $18,571.53 — and it doesn’t expire for another 26 days. ”This campaign is verified by Crowdtilt (and they will disburse the funds directly to Darien),” the page says.
Watch the video of the entire incident below (Warning! Extremely graphic language):
Read TheBlaze’s original report on the incident here.
This story has been updated
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 422 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 375 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 110 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 207 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Police: Suicidal jumper's fall kills SKorean girl
- I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river, injuring 3
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
- Asia stocks extend losses after big sell-off
- 5 climbers missing on world's 3rd highest mountain
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash