This Incredible ‘Moonrise’ Video Is NOT a Time-Lapse
We’ve seen a lot of time-lapse videos of celestial events. This video by astrophotographer Mark Gee is not a time-lapse, which actually makes it even more amazing.
The three minutes of footage Gee shot of a “moonrise” over Mount Victoria Lookout in Wellington, New Zealand, is a real-time video.
“People had gathered up there this night to get the best view possible of the moon rising,” Gee wrote in the video’s description. “I captured the video from 2.1km away on the other side of the city. It’s something that I’ve been wanting to photograph for a long time now, and a lot of planning and failed attempts had taken place. Finally, during moon rise on the 28th January 2013, everything fell into place and I got my footage.”
The video has not been manipulated in any way. As Gee puts it, “it came off the memory card.”
But that’s not to say it was an easy shot. Gee said it was a technical challenge to get the result he wanted. He used a Canon ID MkIV in video mode with a Canon EF 500mm f/4L and a Canon 2x extender II. In total Gee shot eight minutes of footage in total, he wrote on his blog, with a finished edited video showing the first three minutes of the rising moon.
On his blog he explained further that he had to factor in the weather, moon phases and location to set the stage for the moonrise perfectly.
“I didn’t know what to expect with the performance of everyone up there, but I couldn’t have directed it better myself, even though they had no idea I was filming them,” he wrote.
“Thankfully it all came together, and what I ended up with was this wonderful performance of total strangers silhouetted against the full moon as it rose above the lookout,” Gee continued.
- Breathtaking Time-Lapse Video of Arizona and Utah Skies
- Time-Lapse Video Captures Magnificent Galaxy Photos
- Check Out the Majestic Time-Lapse Video of Yosemite National Park
- Can You Spot the Possible UFO in This Time-Lapse Video of a Meteor Shower?
(H/T: Popular Science)
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 594 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 398 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire