Bill Maher Goes After Glenn Beck and His ‘Gullible Honey Boo Boo,’ ‘Rube’ Audience
Bill Maher on Friday took aim at Glenn Beck as a “con man” preaching a “patented brand of apocalyptic race-baiting” to a subscription-based audience — from Maher’s own perch on subscription-based network HBO.
It started when Maher said liberals need to stop “gloating” about Sarah Palin’s recent departure from Fox News — even though it was a “wonderful, hilarious coincidence” that it just came after Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal implored fellow Republicans to “stop being the stupid party.”
“It makes me think of this guy,” Maher said, flashing a photo of Beck. “Did he curl up into a ball and weep like a baby? Of course he did. This is Glenn Beck we’re talking about.”
Maher continued that Beck then “saw an open window, the Internet. Who needs Fox News when he can take his patented brand of apocalyptic race-baiting directly to the fans, who now pay $9.95 to hear Glenn. Cheaper than a case of their favorite wine.”
Maher evidently missed that access to TheBlaze.com is free of charge, as is Beck’s radio show, which pulls in an average of 10 million listeners a week. Subscription-based TheBlaze TV is also available in millions of homes on DISH Network.
“That $9.95 really adds up,” Maher continued. “Last year, Glenn Beck made $80 million, placing him 11th on the Forbes list of the highest-paid celebrities, Elton John, who sang at the wedding of someone else on the list, Rush Limbaugh.”
Beck did indeed make $80 million — a combination of radio, book, and touring profits, not solely BlazeTV subscriptions. Maher then opined about how Beck and Limbaugh are a big part of what’s wrong with the Republican Party.
“Con men like Rush and Beck are one reason the Republicans are in such dire straits today,” he said. “They don’t care about winning elections, they care about separating rubes from their money. They’ve discovered there’s a fortune to be made by keeping a small portion of America under the illusion that they are always under attack from Mexicans or ACORN or Planned Parenthood or gays or takers, global warming hoaxers, it doesn’t matter.”
Knocking TheBlaze TV’s “only” 300,000 subscribers — but not mentioning TheBlaze.com’s 10 million unique visitors last month or its 90 million page views according to Google Analytics — Maher continued that Beck and Limbaugh “don’t want a majority.”
“They don’t want a majority, they want a mailing list — a list of gullible Honey Boo Boos out there who think there’s a war on Christmas or that these socialist policies of our Kenyan president have been so disastrous that the end of the world is coming,” Maher said.
Watch the clip below, via Mediaite:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 463 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 317 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 255 Comments
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 230 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 173 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 100 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 120 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 139 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- UK eyes giving visas to 600 Afghan interpreters
- Target's 1Q profit drops 26 pct on weak sales
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Irishman charged with 1982 IRA Hyde Park bombing
- GOP questions IRS scrutiny of anti-abortion groups
- Oil stays near $96 before crude stocks report, Fed
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- AP Interview: Rogge cites need for targeted tests