Chris Matthews: John McCain’s an ‘Angry’ Vietnam Vet Who’s Having ‘Flashbacks’
MSNBC host Chris Matthews on Friday declared Sen. John McCain just an “angry” Vietnam veteran who’s having a “flashback” for his sharp questioning of defense secretary nominee Chuck Hagel.
“Why is John McCain so angry? Forty years after the Vietnam POWs came home, the most famous of them is angrier than ever,” Matthews said to kicked off his show “Hardball.”
The Arizona Republican had a particularly tough exchange with Hagel during his Senate confirmation hearing Thursday over Hagel’s past criticism of the Iraq War surge, including once calling it the “most dangerous foreign policy blunder in this country since Vietnam.” McCain repeatedly demanded Hagel give a direct yes-or-no answer on whether he was correct in that characterization, which Hagel refused to do, saying he would “defer to the judgement of history.”
Matthews said Friday McCain harbored “a resentment not against the North Vietnamese who imprisoned and tortured him all those years, not against George W. Bush and his political henchmen who tried to stain McCain’s reputation back in 2000,” but against Hagel, a man who also fought in America’s “long nightmare in Vietnam.”
“A nightmare whose flashbacks must haunt still the mind and heart of John Sidney McCain,” Matthews said.
NewsBusters has a portion of Matthews’ remarks:
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 386 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 115 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 'No guarantee of peace,' NKorean envoy warns China
- Brewers team up on beer to help military families
- 5.7-magnitude quake widely felt across N. Calif.
- I-5 bridge collapse survivor: 'You hold on'
- Report: France backs off caps on CEO pay
- World stocks erratic a day after big sell-off
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested