Former Navy SEAL & ‘American Sniper’ Author Chris Kyle Reportedly Killed at TX Lodge
Former Navy SEAL and bestselling author of the book “American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History” Chris Kyle was killed at the Rough Creek Lodge in Texas Saturday, NBC DFW reports.
Two people were killed Saturday at a gun range in Erath County. Three sources tell News 8 that one of the victims was Chris Kyle, a former Navy SEAL and author of the New York Times bestselling book, “American Sniper.”
Kyle was shot point-blank while helping another soldier who is recovering from post traumatic stress syndrome, News 8 learned.
An alert was issued for the suspect, who was reportedly captured in Lancaster, south of Dallas. The suspect was believed to be highly trained with military experience. [Emphasis added]
KXAS-TV has more:
Reports indicate the suspect actually took off in Kyle’s car and, according to KHOU, officials say the second victim may have been the suspect’s neighbor.
Lancaster police later confirmed that the suspect Eddie Ray Routh was arrested Saturday night and is expected to be charged with murder. A spokesman for Lancaster police said officers flagged Routh and took him into custody at Interstate 35 and Camp Wisdom Road after a brief chase.
WFAA-TV released the following photo of Routh late Saturday night, but did not specify when the photo was taken:
Routh reportedly attempted to flee when approached by officers and crashed into a squad car.
Blaze Front Page Editor Jon Seidl spent time on the same ranch where the shooting occurred earlier this fall and describes it as a sprawling, secluded area “in the middle of nowhere.” He recalls there being several shooting stations. It is also the host site in December for the annual Spartan adventure race.
The website’s description reads:
No matter what your individual style, Rough Creek Lodge and Resort is a “have-it-all” place for our “want-it-all” guests.
Rough Creek Lodge , Resort and Dallas Conference Center is nestled on 11,000 acres in the foothills of the picturesque Texas Hill Country. Located 90 minutes southwest of Dallas Fort Worth, Texas, our exquisite grounds boast 57 stylish guestrooms and suites, 4 exclusive cabins, and 2 opulent guest houses. Our Dallas lodging is finely decorated with sophisticated fabric, furniture and artwork to create a feel of rustic elegance for our guests.
You may also remember the time he punched former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura in the face.
Kyle served four tours of duty in Iraq and had 160 kills as a Navy SEAL, NBC DFW reports. According to the Stephenville Empire-Tribune, he made his longest successful shot after he spotted an insurgent with a rocket launcher 2,100 yards (about 1.2 miles) away, near a U.S. Army convoy.
He is married and the father of two.
Before his death, Kyle weighed in on the gun control debate for SHOT Show 2013:
Jack Murphy at the Special Operations Forces Situation Report (SOFREP) wrote this moving note Saturday night:
I am saddened to have to announce the tragic loss of another one of our own. This has been a hard year for the Special Operations community, perhaps the SEAL community most of all.
Today Chris Kyle was shot and killed at a shooting range at the Rough Creek Lodge in Texas, murdered along with a second individual.
Chris had been volunteering his time to help Marine Corps veterans suffering from PTSD and mentoring them. Part of this process involved taking these veterans to the range where one of them snapped and killed Chris and his neighbor for reasons that remain unknown at this time. The perpetrator then stole Chris’ vehicle in an attempt to escape but we have received word that the police have since arrested him.
You can read the rest of the note at SOFREP.
Former Alaska governor and Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin added on Facebook:
This is a breaking news story. Updates will be added.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 474 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 380 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 329 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 314 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 189 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 143 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 107 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- Deliberations resume in Arias trial penalty phase
- 12-year-old Mass. boy wins National Geographic Bee
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Bears LB Urlacher announces his retirement
- Israeli air force chief warns of Syrian attacks
- Oklahoma City mayor says 12,000 to 13,000 homes damaged or destroyed by tornado