Saudi Cleric Confesses to Murdering 5-Year-Old Daughter Over Virginity Concerns — Gets a Fine & Brief Jail Time
A prominent Saudi cleric has received a light prison sentence after confessing to beating his 5-year-old daughter to death over concerns about her virginity.
Saudi media reports say Fayhan al-Ghamdi, a frequent guest on Islamic television programs, also raped his daughter before being charged with murder in November.
Gulf News has some of the horrifying details:
[5-year-old] Lama Al Ghamdi was admitted to hospital on December 25, 2011 with multiple injuries, including a crushed skull, broken ribs and left arm, extensive bruising and burns, the activists said. She died last October 22.
Fayhan Al Gamdi, an Islamic preacher and regular guest on Muslim television networks, confessed to having used cables and a cane to inflict the injuries, the activists from the group “Women to Drive” said in a statement.
They said the father had doubted Lama’s virginity and had her checked up by a medic.
Randa Al Kaleeb, a social worker from the hospital where Lama was admitted, said the girl’s back was broken and that she had been raped “everywhere”, according to the group. [Emphasis added]
But the cleric was freed last week after serving a short prison term and agreeing to pay $50,000 in “blood money” to the family of the girl’s mother. According to the BBC, it is roughly half of what he would have had to pay had the murdered child been male.
Gulf News reports that the ruling is based on national law that men cannot be executed for killing their children or their wives.
But the backlash has been fierce in Saudi Arabia. A social media campaign gaining momentum Sunday is the latest attempt to use the Internet to pressure the kingdom’s ultraconservative rulers to hand down a harsher punishment.
Countless Twitter users are using the hashtag #AnaLama, Arabic for “I am Lama,” in association with the story.
The news comes soon after Al-Arabiya publicized another Saudi cleric’s call to have female babies wear the burka, so there is less chance they will be sexually molested.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 453 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 401 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 361 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 275 Comments
- Group of Thugs Target Seemingly Defenseless Woman — They Had No Idea She Had Been Frequenting the Gun Range 263 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 169 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 105 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 134 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Car bomb, other attacks kill 5 in Iraqi city
- Obama touring Oklahoma tornado response
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- NTSB says Wash. bridge collapse is wake-up call
- Suspected rebels kill 28, wound 24 in east India
- 2 rockets hit Lebanese Hezbollah stronghold
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; 200-plus rescued
- Kerry meets with runners from Boston Marathon