Report: Venezuela’s Intelligence Service Is Spying on the Country’s Jewish Community
Leaked documents published on an Argentinean website show that Venezuela’s intelligence service SEBIN has been spying on Venezuela’s small Jewish community as well as on organizations that do business with Israel.
The Anti-Defamation League’s (ADL) National Director Abraham Foxman said he is “deeply troubled” by the reported policy and condemned it in a statement:
Venezuela under the regime of Hugo Chavez has a history of harassing the Jewish community in that country. It is chilling to read reports that the SEBIN received instructions to carry out clandestine surveillance operations against members of the Jewish community, as described in detail in documents leaked by the Argentinean web site, Analisis24.
In a country where the government and some of its followers have publicly accused the Jewish community of disloyalty and where the community’s institutions and houses of worship have been attacked, reports of this kind of surveillance add fuel to an already incendiary atmosphere inciting prejudice and hate. For more than a decade, elements of the Venezuelan government-run media and the so-called “alternative” media operated by Chavez government supporters have regularly engaged in spreading anti-Jewish conspiracy theories and promoting anti-Semitic stereotypes.
During the presidential elections in October, President Hugo Chavez employed anti-Semitic barbs to vilify his opponent Henrique Capriles Radonski, a Catholic of Jewish descent. A Tel Aviv University report examining the election campaign described Chavez’s methods which included: “defamation, intimidation and conspiracy theories, many of which portray Capriles as a Zionist agent, and by mixing classic and neo-antisemitism.”
American Jewish organizations including the ADL and Simon Wiesenthal Center slammed Chavez’s efforts to suggest his opponent was disloyal due to his Jewish roots. The Simon Wiesenthal Center pointed to a column on the state-run Radio Nacional de Venezuela’s website which described the Jewish ancestry of opposition leader Radonski only to then label him a secret follower of Zionism, a movement the website described as “the most rotten sentiments represented by humanity.”
Abraham Foxman of the ADL said then: “Blatant and persistent anti-Semitism is used by President Chavez and his government apparatus as a divisive political tool.”
“What we are seeing at the outset of Venezuela’s presidential elections is an attempt to cast the opposition candidate as a ‘traitorous Jew’ who is unworthy of the presidency,” he added.
The ADL provides more detail on the Argentinean news report:
The Analisis24 article suggests there is an official government policy targeting Venezuela’s Jewish community. We strongly condemn these dangerous intimidation tactics and call on the current leadership of the Venezuelan government to immediately cease targeting the Jewish community.
The Analisis24 report, which has since been republished on at least one web site Venezuela, included several documents, mainly from 2010, with specific, private and official information about Jewish Venezuelans. For instance, among the documents posted are the official passport information of members of an NGO related to Holocaust remembrance, including all entry and exits from the country and where the members traveled.
Since Chavez came to power in 1999, there has been an upsurge in anti-Semitism in the Latin American country while its president has forged warm ties with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, a leader who has stated his desire to destroy Israel.
Not surprisingly, during Chavez’s reign, the Jewish community has dwindled from 30,000 to just 9,000.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 498 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 468 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 383 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 333 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 187 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 130 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 123 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse
- Obama sees narrower terror threat, defends drones
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
- Muslim hard-liners ID suspect in London attack
- Kingston leads BMW PGA Championship
- House backs variable rate student loans
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Tea party vs. old guard in Senate GOP rift