‘Fair Game’: Chris Christie and David Letterman Laugh About Fat Jokes on ‘The Late Show’
During last night’s appearance on “The Late Show With David Letterman,” New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie joked back-and-forth with the comedian, speaking candidly about his weight, among other subjects. Rather than avoiding the subject or taking offense at past jabs, he and Letterman actually shared some laughs about the many fat jokes the comic has made about the lawmaker.
Christie has termed his plumpness “fair game” for comedians and he fully embraced this sentiment last night. In his first appearance on “The Late Show,” the outspoken Republican and potential 2016 presidential contender even read two of Letterman’s jokes that he said were “some of my personal favorites.”
The governor also drew loud laughs when he pulled out a doughnut and started eating it while Letterman asked him if he was bothered by the digs that have been made about his weight. Christie said he wasn’t, noting that he laughs at the jokes if he finds them funny.
“I only care if you’re funny. From my perspective, if the joke is funny I laugh even if it’s about me,” the governor told Letterman. “If it’s not funny I don’t laugh. But I’ve never felt like it was anything that ever really bugged me that much.”
Christie also quipped that he finds only about 40 percent of Letterman’s jokes about him comical.
Watch highlights from the exchange, below:
Perhaps the candor with which Christie handled the subject wasn’t entirely surprising. After all, he told Oprah Winfrey in a Jan. 2012 interview that he is no longer bothered by people who poke fun at his weight. When also asked it if he is ever offended by the jokes, he was candid.
“Not anymore. I think it hurt me a lot when I was younger. But I kinda think now I’ve developed a bit of a shell about it because it’s been talked about so much,” he said. “I don’t like being overweight. I know I’d be healthier and better off if I weren’t.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 488 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 475 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 374 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 331 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 122 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 226 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 107 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 109 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Muslim hardliners ID London terror suspect
- Cannes crime: 2nd jewel theft during film festival
- James, Bryant voted to All-NBA first team
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener
- Tea party storm largely inside IRS _ so far
- Israel says Iran unaffected by world pressure
- House backs variable rate student loans
- Obama condemns 'appalling attack' on UK soldier