9-Year-Old Gives Birth to Healthy 6-Pound Baby — Police Search for 17-Year-Old Man Who May Have Raped Her
A 9-year-old girl in Mexico reportedly gave birth to a nearly 6 pound baby girl Jan. 27, and police are on the hunt for a 17-year-old who might have fathered the child as a result of rape, AFP reported authorities speculating.
“We are looking for the young man to get his story because she does not understand what has happened. This is a rape or child sex abuse case,” Jorge Villasenor with the state prosecutors’ office said according to AFP.
ABC News reported further Lino Ginzalez Corona, a spokesperson at the Jalisco State Prosecutor’s Office, saying the girl, identified only as Dafne, described relationship with the father as loving and that they were dating. But given her age, authorities don’t know how accurate this account is and they’re “still open to the possibility of rape or child sex abuse.”
Here’s more from Corona regarding the unusual situation:
“She did not realize that she was pregnant until the seventh month,” said Corona. Her boyfriend suggested Dafne move in with him and to raise the child together but when the young mother refused, her boyfriend “decided to leave town two months ago,” says Corona.
Dafne, who is one of 11 children, lives in Ixtlahuacan de los Membrillos, a poverty-stricken neighborhood 25 miles south of Guadalajara. “Her parents work all day and were not watching after her,” says Corona, “and therefore didn’t realize what was about to happen.”
ABC reported that Dafne delivered the baby through a C-section. According to the National Institutes of Health, the general age for females to begin their menstrual cycle and therefore be able to bear children is around 12 years old.
Dafne is among the youngest women to deliver a child, but certainly not the only one. A 1939 Time article reported a Peruvian girl at age 5 becoming pregnant. Just last year, a 10-year-old Columbian girl gave birth. A number of other young births have been reported over the years.
Featured image via Shutterstock.com.
(H/T: Daily Mail)
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 442 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 343 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 316 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 269 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 167 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 101 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 126 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings 4-1 to stay alive
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; 200-plus rescued
- Umpire expresses regret on botched call
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- Ore. teen accused of planning to attack school
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; 200-plus rescued
- Rescuers look for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight
- Suspected rebels kill 17, wound 24 in east India