Armed 86-Year-Old Woman Delivers One of the Best Interviews of the Year After Standing up to Burglar
A burglar got more of a fight than she expected after a super tough 86-year-old would-be victim confronted her with a handgun. Though she was unable to hit the home intruder with the one shot she fired, the elderly woman engaged in a struggle with the burglar and refused to let go of her gun.
“I told different people, if I ever catch ‘em, I mean to kill ‘em,” Louise Howard told WCYB-TV. In other words, the burglar should be thankful she’s still alive.
The incident occurred on Friday afternoon and Howard was forced to defend her home and her life from a female burglar who broke the glass on her door with a wrench and forced her way into her Tennessee home.
“I was in shock. I didn’t know what she was going to do to me,” she said.
The elderly woman retrieved her gun but before she could get a clean shot off, the burglar approached her and the two started to wrestle down the hall.
“She moved her hands sort of released me a bit. I moved over like that, and I was going to shoot her in the stomach, but she took her knee and hit my elbow,” Howard recalled. The one shot she got off is still lodged inside her wall.
Howard, a repeat crime victim, certainly defended her life and put up a good fight, however, the robber still made off with her purse, which contained two sets of keys, some rings, a bank card and a checkbook. Nothing else was taken.
Howard also told WYCB-TV she was more concerned for her cat than she was for herself, which is partly why she refused to back down.
“I guess I’d give my life that cat I love him so,” she said.
Hawkins County Sheriff Ronnie Lawson said the woman did the right thing defending herself with her firearm.
“All indications [were] the intruder, the female, had a wrench. It was what she used to break the window of the door so she could’ve defended herself,” he said.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 395 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 288 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kuchar leads Colonial without finishing 2nd round
- Penguins oust Sens in five, reach Eastern finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 away from Heat in Miami, 97-93
- Obama's drone rules leave unanswered questions
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair