Family Research Council President Debates CNN’s Soledad O’Brien on Gays in the Boy Scouts: ‘Doesn’t Pass the Parent Test’
The president of the conservative Family Research Council said Wednesday that lifting the long-standing ban on gays in the Boy Scouts doesn’t “pass the parent test.”
The Family Research Council and 41 other organizations ran an ad in USA Today this week warning the scouts it would be “a grave mistake” to overturn the ban and urging them to “stand firm for timeless values.” The Boy Scouts announced Wednesday it had delayed a decision on whether to overturn the ban until May.
“Look, this doesn’t pass the parent test,” Perkins said on CNN. “You’re going to let leaders come in who are attracted to males.”
“I’m a parent, OK, what’s the parent test?” anchor Soledad O’Brien asked.
“I’m a parent, I have three daughters,” Perkins said. “My heterosexual neighbor — man, like him, good guy, got kids of his own — but I’m not going to let him go camping with my girls. Why would I let a man who is attracted to other males go camping with my boys? It doesn’t pass the parent test.”
O’Brien pointed out that pedophiles have sex with children and asked, “Are you saying someone who’s gay is a pedophile?”
“No, I never said that, you said that,” Perkins said. “I’m saying they [the Scouts] are trying to create an environment that is protective of the children….there is a disproportionate number of male on boy pedophilia…but we’ve never said all homosexuals are pedophiles or all pedophiles are homosexual.”
He said it comes down to having Scouts who would be “attracted to members of the same sex.”
“Is that right, for Boy Scouts who are out wanting to learn the basic tenets of scouting to have to worry about whether or not the boy in the tent with them is attracted to them? Is that right?” Perkins asked. “I mean look, these folks that want to do — they are free to set up their own organization. Why do they want to come in and change an organization that’s been around for 100 years?”
“Because it’s discriminatory,” O’Brien replied.
She asked Perkins whether he worries if he’s “on the wrong side of history on this?”
“No I don’t,” Perkins said.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 536 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 491 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 114 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 173 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 129 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Cannes: Dern a leading man again in 'Nebraska'
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Budget cuts mean unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Hezbollah: EU making big mistake
- Toronto mayor Rob Ford says he does not smoke crack cocaine