Tour This $65K Doomsday Bunker Built by a Utah Survivalist Prepper
The words “survivalist” and “bunker” have been swirling in the media lately after the kidnapping of a school boy by an Alabama man who is supposedly a “doomsday prepper.” As we previously reported, Jimmy Lee Dykes held the 6-year-old for more than 30 hours in the underground structure.
But the vast majority of purported “survivalists” building “doomsday bunkers” to ride out an attack on humanity that could end the world as we know it are peaceful individuals who are nothing like Dykes. Take Peter Larson who recently gave CNN a tour of his $65,000 bunker nestled in Utah’s mountains.
CNN’s Gary Tuchman describes Larson as a family man. He’s a man who has a normal neighborhood home with a mountain view. But a few hour drive away into the mountains is where Tuchman has created a 50-foot long, 10-foot in diameter bunker that resides 20 feet under ground.
Why is Larson preparing for apocalyptic situations? In part, Tuchman reported, because he thinks economic collapse could bring civil disorder but it’s more than that.
“There will be a nuclear holocaust. Someone is going to pull the pin,” Larson said.
In addition to the expected staples — canned food, blankets, firearms, etc., — Larson’s bunker is outfitted with an air-filtration system that pumps air in from the outside. He also keeps cash and gold on hand for when it’s time to start rebuilding society.
“You’ve got enough bullets to start an army here,” Tuchman said.
“Um, yeah,” Larson said.
Larson, a Mormon, explains that according to his faith, he believes in the last days there will be some hard times.
“…we feel like these are the last days,” Larson said.
How will Larson reach the bunker in time in the event of an impending disaster? He tells Tuchman essentially that he believes God will give him a sense of when it’s time to go.
“…I spend a certain amount of time with Heavenly Father reminding him that I need about 24 hours notice,” Larson said.
Tuchman also asks a question many have of survivalist preppers: if the whole world is destroyed, would you really want to live that kind of life?
Larson responded saying, “sure” and noting that he doesn’t think all of man-kind would be destroyed.
Watch CNN’s tour:
As for the cost of Larson’s bunker, compared to some others a $65,000 price tag isn’t too expensive. Check out these luxury bunkers that some buyers have put down $7 million for in Kansas.
- Our Fascinating Interview With a Prepper Leader: He Responds to Demonization of Movement After CT Shooting and Explains What It’s Really About
- Man Spends More Than $350,000 Prepping for the Apocalypse: What Did He Buy?
- Would You Live in This Converted Ballistic Missile Silo? It’s on the Market for $750K
- 72-Year-Old Suing City of Austin for Seizing His Home and Condemning It for Building Fallout Shelter
- Meet the Preppers: Americans Stockpiling Food and Water for a Possible Collapse
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 551 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 504 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 477 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 325 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 207 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 220 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 139 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school