What’s It Like To Drive The World’s Smallest Car? (Terrifying!)
BBC Television’s global hit “Top Gear” is a show that spotlights some of the best, fastest, and most luxurious cars in the world. Host Jeremy Clarkson has also shown the world some of the strangest bits of the automotive world. Back in 2008, Clarkson took us on a ride in the smallest production car ever built, the Peel P50. (The full video from 2008 is at the end of this story.)
The 1963 mini car was actually certified by Guinness as the “World’s Smallest Production Car.” The P50 was only 51 inches long and 45 inches wide. It was powered by a tiny moped engine and managed to get 100 miles per gallon.
Clarkson squeezed all of his 6ft 5in frame into the P50 and actually drove it around London and inside the BBC offices. Seeing the car next to one of the city’s famous double-decker buses gives you an idea of just how small it is.
That was 2008. Fast-forward to 2013 and the Top Gear crew has brought us a newer, smaller car. The P45.
Designed by Clarkson, the P45 is even smaller than the Peel P50, but it does have a bit more power — the P45 has a two-stroke, 100 cc engine.
It is unlikely that we’ll see this vehicle being mass produced. You’ll understand why after you see how a basic pothole nearly throws into a spinout. How small is it? It’s so small that — you can fill the gas tank without getting out of the car.
Here’s a short piece from the last week’s premiere of “Top Gear” 19th season; it features Clarkson driving his creation, the P45.
If you are interested in a comparison to the P50, watch the 2008 segment where Clarkson drove the 1963 car on the streets on London as well as inside the offices of the BBC.
(H/T - New York Post)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 590 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 390 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 321 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 275 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4