Rubio vs. Paul: Will the Leader of ‘the New GOP’ Please Stand Up?
It’s been an eventful last two weeks for the young GOP star, Florida Senator Marco Rubio. After headlining the bipartisan ‘Gang of Eight’ Immigration reform framework last week, Rubio was named Thursday to be the Republican giving the party’s response to the president’s State of the Union speech on February 12, and has made the cover of the latest TIME magazine with the title of “The Republican Savior.”
A front runner for the party’s presidential nomination in 2016, the Cuban-American’s political momentum has continued to rise as he represents many hallmarks of what is old and new about the party; a 2010 Tea Party candidate supported by the Bush Family, young for a major national politician at 41 yet experienced in the private sector and state government, able to connect with younger voters on many cultural issues yet a steadfast conservative on political positions, and from an important swing state and ethnic background where the GOP hopes to make major improvements.
While all signs point to support for Rubio from the Republican majority and becoming the ‘next in line’ candidate for 2016, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul appears to be quietly assemblying his own 2016 team and preparing to be a possible grassroots, anti-establishment libertarian-leaning national candidate like his father–a politician known for consistently exceeding mainstream media expectations in presidential elections.
Paul gave a high profile foreign policy speech at the Heritage Foundation Wednesday, distancing himself from other 2016 Republican contenders by criticizing neoconservative policy and arguing for America’s place on the global stage to be decidedly less interventionist.
Political observers are beginning to take notice of the brewing rivalry for leadership in the “new GOP” as both Paul and Rubio begin to assemble 2016 war chests. Rebekah Metzler writes in US News:
For all the hand-wringing and cautious “messaging” changes the GOP establishment and party leaders are trying out, the “new” brand looks an awful lot like the “old” brand, with few exceptions. But Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul and Florida Senator Marco Rubio—buoyed by an independent base of conservative popularity and the youthful confidence that comes from being anointed your party’s saviors—are striking out their own path.
On ‘Real News‘ Thursday the panel discussed the non-traditional ideas both Rubio and Rand are brining to the GOP that have gained traction, and whether Rand and Rubio can be allies or rivals moving forward.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 846 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 275 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 242 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 229 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 164 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 182 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- How the French economy compares to Germany's, UK's
- Does France have right plan to revive its economy?
- Myanmar Muslims jailed for killing Buddhist monk
- Syrian army says it has destroyed an Israeli vehicle that crossed Golan Heights ceasefire line
- China's Li seeks stronger economic ties with India
- Crews dig through night after deadly Okla. twister
- British inflation eases by more than expected
- AP photographer describes destroyed Okla. school