There Could Be a Big Problem With the Discovery of King Richard III’s Bones
Earlier in the week, the hot news was that at team of researchers at the University of Leicester had identified “beyond reasonable doubt” using DNA analysis the lost bones of King Richard III, which were found under a parking lot after being missing for centuries. But other researchers are now saying not so fast.
The 500-year-old bones were at first speculated by the Leicester researchers to belong to the supposed English monarch due to evidence of wounds that would have corresponded with Richard III’s death and scoliosis, which could have earned him the description of being a hunchback, LiveScience reported. DNA analysis of a living descendant of Richard III – Michael Ibsen — is what lead the researchers to claim the bones were in fact that of the lost monarch.
But other researchers say there could be flaws in the DNA evidence.
“The DNA results presented today are too weak, as they stand, to support the claim that DNA is actually from Richard III,” Maria Avila, a computational biologist at the Center for GeoGenetics at the Natural History Museum of Denmark, said according to LiveScience. “Perhaps more in-depth DNA analysis summed to the archaeological and osteological [bone analysis] results would make a round story.”
LiveScience pointed out that the announcement of the supposed finding of Richard III’s bones was made before a peer review was conducted of the research. The team will be submitting their research for peer review and publication.
Still, even with some skepticism, other scientists are on board with the findings.
“I think they went about it in probably the most rigorous way,” Central Michigan University historian Lemont Dobson told LiveScience. He said those criticizing the findings are “missing the point” of the announcement, which is public interest.
And the general public was relatively interested in the find. According to LiveScience, Richard III was trending on Twitter Monday after the announcement.
Watch this video of the unveiling of Richard III’s facial reconstruction:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 508 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 464 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 113 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 214 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 152 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- What vitally important issue is the NY state legislature debating?
- Feel-good story of the day: 3D printers aren’t just for guns
- Obama admin becomes ABC’s ‘Scandal’
- Was Gibson Guitar raid another example of political targeting by Obama DOJ?
- Code Pink protester pretended to be journalist so she could heckle Obama
- Judge orders more monitoring for Cowboys DT
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Syria targeted Israeli jeep going to rebel village
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Woman in Berlusconi case denies her own statements
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Latest 'Bachelorette' won't say if she's engaged
- Netflix hoping for memorable Memorial Day weekend