Weekly Unemployment Claims Take a Little Dip
Good morning, Blazers. Here’s your weekly unemployment claims report.
Applications for jobless benefits fell by 5,000 for the week ending February 2, bringing the total to 366,000, down from last week’s revised figure of 371,000, the Labor Department announced on Thursday.
The four-week moving average, a “less volatile” figure, decreased by 2,250, bringing the total to 350,500, down from last week’s revised average of 352,750.
“The advance seasonally adjusted insured unemployment rate was 2.5 percent for the week ending January 26, unchanged from the prior week’s unrevised rate,” the report reads.
“The advance number for seasonally adjusted insured unemployment during the week ending January 26 was 3,224,000, an increase of 8,000 from the preceding week’s revised level of 3,216,000. The 4-week moving average was 3,211,000, an increase of 13,750 from the preceding week’s revised average of 3,197,250,” it adds.
The states with the largest increases in initial claims for the week ending January 19 were North Carolina (+2,030), Oregon (+491), Virginia (+461), and Vermont (+62).
Meanwhile, California (-20,414), Texas (-5,082), Illinois (-4,865), Florida (-3,570), and Michigan (-2,795) posted the biggest decreases in initial claims.
Employers added roughly 157,000 jobs in January.
“And annual revisions included in the Labor Department’s January employment report showed the economy created 600,000 more jobs in 2011 and 2012 than previously thought,” The Associated Press notes.
But let’s keep everything in perspective: The unemployment rate also ticked up to 7.9 percent in January from 7.8 percent in December.
Hopefully, according to some economists, the unemployment rate will come back down if hiring continues at this modest clip.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Front page photo courtesy Getty Images.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 521 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 464 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 451 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 331 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 263 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 147 Comments
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- For Philadelphia bicyclist, a cat is his co-pilot
- IMF head Lagarde in court in fraud probe
- Brave woman tried to reason with London attackers
- British official: Both suspects in London attack were part of earlier security services probes
- Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan
- LeBron, Heat dig deep to top Pacers in Game 1
- Senator: Assaults let military culture continue