Panetta and Joint Chiefs Grilled During Senate Hearing for Administration Policy on Benghazi and Syria
Outgoing Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Martin Dempsey were in the hot seat Thursday during a hearing with the Senate Armed Services committee regarding the attacks in Benghazi and ongoing bloodshed in Syria.
“How many more have to die before you recommend military action?” Republican Sen. John McCain reportedly asked Dempsey and Panetta, citing estimates that up to 60,000 people have been killed in the Syrian civil war. “And did you support the recommendation by…then-Secretary of State Clinton and then-head of CIA, Mr. Petraeus, that we provide weapons to the resistance in Syria?”
During the hearing it was revealed that a proposal to arm Syrian rebels was backed by the Pentagon, State Department and CIA last year, but the White House decided not to act on the plan. The Wall Street Journal reports the White House hesitated on the proposal over worries if the rebels could be trusted with the arms. The recommendation for arming was supported the Secretary of State and CIA Director at the time, Hillary Clinton and David Petraeus.
On the September 11,2012, Benghazi attack, Panetta and Dempsey told the committee that they had only spoken with President Obama one time that day and had no further direct engagement regarding the attack that resulted in the death of a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans. It was also noted that the day after the attack, President Obama left Washington campaign in Las Vegas.
On ‘Real News‘ Friday the panel reviewed the hearing’s most heated exchanges, what was revealed Thursday that we did not know before, and if there is any indication that new leadership at the State Dept, Defense Dept. and the CIA will take things in a different direction.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 514 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 460 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 445 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 256 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oil falls below $93 as China manufacturing weakens
- Crane accident cuts power to one-third of Vietnam
- IMF head Lagarde in court in fraud probe
- Simultaneous car bomb attacks in Niger
- Man shot by FBI had spoken with bombing suspect
- 5 dead in Lebanon clash of Assad foes, backers
- Japan stocks dive as benchmark bond yield spikes
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 3 more arrested