Winner of Gun Store’s Contest for an AR-15 Harassed on Facebook to Point Where They’ve Shut Down Account
Since the gun control debate fired up strongly with the shooting of school children and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., in December, one Pittsburgh gun store has been running a Facebook contest giving away AR-15 packages, which has drawn both support and criticism.
Up until this week, Pittsburgh Tactical Firearms published the name of the winner of its AR-15 giveaway Facebook campaign, but it is now revising its policy after one such winner said they were being harassed to the point where they had to shut down their Facebook page.
“So here is something that really pisses us off. Our winner of the [AR] package called us about five minutes ago to tell us this. ‘Thanks for what you guys are doing. Over the past few days people have been harassing me and my family on Facebook. I am closing my account because of this.’ That are not his exact words as he was swearing up and down about the liberal media and how they won’t leave him alone.
We might reconsider how we announce winners from now on. We want to keep your privacy as much as you do,” the firearms store wrote on its Facebook page Thursday.
In another post shortly thereafter, the business wrote that it would be allowing contest winners to have the choice of whether they would want their name publicly announced or not.
Pittsburgh Tactical Firearms has been receiving local attention for its contest and more recently is making national news. In a radio interview with 1020 KDKA the owner, Eric Lowry, said the giveaway was conceived to drive up business, which it did along with the concern some have over gun regulations. Within 12 hours two days after the December shooting, Lowry said on the radio his store sold out of 95 percent of its inventory. He had to call in friends to help with background checks for those wishing to purchase firearms.
The radio host asked why anyone needs that type of a weapon?
“The number one thing is that it’s your right. It’s your right to own a firearm no matter what type of firearm it is,” Lowry said on the show. “It’s clearly stated that the right to bear arms will not be infringed [...] I don’t think it extends out to tanks and nuclear weapons like a lot of of people are suggesting, but citizens should be armed well enough to defend themselves against a tyrannical government, in which case they should be able to own the same exact firearms that any type of military soldier should be able to own.”
A recent letter signed by 1,100 green berets for the protection of the Second Amendment supported the same sentiment Lowry and others have regarding firearm ownership.
The Huffington Post reported Lowry saying that the contest was not meant to be a form of protest against President Barack Obama’s proposed gun control laws. He added that his store will do another giveaway soon when things quiet down.
TheBlaze contacted Lowry and will be speaking with him. Stay tuned for more information from Pittsburgh Tactical Firearms’ owner.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 445 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 445 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 401 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 213 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- UK military jet launched to probe civilian plane
- US durable goods orders rise 3.3 percent in April
- Slovenia adopts debt cap to stave off crisis
- Jury foreman says Arias testimony didn't help her
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute
- UK defense ministry: Typhoon jet launched to investigate incident with civilian plane
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
- Jersey shore reopens post-Sandy with fun, no sun