The Only Way to Fully Understand How Amazing These Expanding Sculptures Are Is to Watch This Video
Li Hongbo’s sculptures have been described as “freaky” and “bizarre.” When you see what they do and learn how exactly they’re made, you’ll probably agree with these designations but might also add “fascinating” to the list.
The White Rabbit Gallery’s description of the Beijing-based artist states that he has a special affinity toward paper.
“I love it and collect it,” he said, according to the gallery website.
He loves it so much, it’s his preferred medium. But would you believe that this (see the image below) …
… can morph into this (below) …
… and this (below)?
Here’s how he does it:
With the help of an assistant, Li Hongbo stuck more than 30,000 sheets together with carefully placed stripes of glue to form what look like two large blocks of balsa wood. Using an electric saw, he carved these stacks into identical human figures. One he leaves intact, except for a toppled head; the other is stretched out like a vast accordion, its torso and limbs looping around the gallery space like a gigantic Slinky toy. Many visitors find it hard to believe that it ever looked anything like its upright twin.
Watch this video showing off Hongbo’s flexible sculptures:
The White Rabbit Gallery stated that Hongbo hopes this will show people the “endless possibilities of paper.”
Did it? Let us know what you think about the artwork in the comments below.
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 533 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 422 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 369 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 325 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 307 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 158 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 118 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Obama's drone rules provide limits, ambiguity
- Grizzlies coach defends flagrant foul but not flop
- A controversial victory lap for Lewis at Cannes
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay
- Jimmie Johnson chasing NASCAR history, not legacy
- Protesters to march vs Monsanto in 250 cities
- Hezbollah chief says group is fighting in Syria